Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

File Creation Problem

This topic is 5891 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi Every one, I wanted to create a file with a prog called "CON.LOG", if it came to that function the prog crashed. It took me pretty long to figure out what the actual problem was: My Windows Version [Windows 2000 Professional] does not allow to create a file called "CON.LOG". Does anybody know about it? Does it work on your system? Windows (N): A 32 Bit patch to a 16 bit graphical interface based on a 8 bit operating system originaly encoded for a 4 bit processor written by a 2 bit company that can''''t stand 1 bit of competition.

CON is the name of the console in DOS. Windows reserves those names. When you create a file it checks to see if the name of the file is the same as one of the reserved names. If it is, the file open fails.

Related to this is a way of making Windows9x machines blue screen: type a path into Explorer with \CON\CON in and the machine blue screens. Same with other reserved DOS device names (NUL\NUL etc).
There was a Microsoft critical update which stops Windows9x from crashing on that kind of address.

--
Simon O''''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com