• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Drawing symmetric equilateral triangles

This topic is 1367 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm rendering equilateral triangles of different sizes and I'm having trouble making them symmetric along the vertical axis. I'm aware of the diamond exit rule but I don't think that's the cause of the problem.

Here I have rendered two triangles. The triangle on the left (rendered correctly) has the coordinates (0.0, 0.0), (-7.0, 14.0) and (7.0, 14.0). The triangle on the right, on the other hand, has the coordinates (0.0, 0.0), (-7.0, 15.0) and (7.0, 15.0) and is not symmetric along the vertical axis.

WrgKTTN.png

Here are the matrices I'm using:

glm::mat4 model_matrix = glm::translate(glm::mat4(1.0f), glm::vec3(90.0f, 90.0f, 0.0f));
glm::mat4 view_matrix = glm::mat4(1.0f);
glm::mat4 projection_matrix = glm::ortho(0.0f, w * 1.0f, h * 1.0f, 0.0f);
glm::mat4 mvp_matrix = projection_matrix * view_matrix * model_matrix;

I don't see why the coordinates should make a difference as long as they're symmetrical. This problem also exists when I try to make triangles symmetric in the horizontal axis. Thanks for reading!

Advertisement

Those are not equilateral triangles, and you may or may not be encountering issues with the diamond exit rule. The diamond exit rule is kind of irrelevant because hardware and drivers are not designed for pixel perfect rendering anyways.

If you need to guarantee pixel perfect rendering, you need to do it by yourself. You can use ortho set to your exact screen resolution and draw nothing but rectangles with no rotation.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement