I want to develop 3d multiplayer game, how do I start?

Started by
10 comments, last by Mats1 9 years, 11 months ago

Advertisement
Google it

You start by figuring out what you actually want to make, rather than just a hodgepodge of bullet points.

Then you cry when you realize that what you just described is sort of like walking into NASA and saying "I want to make a rocket ship, how do I start?"

EDIT:

Okay, that was a bit mean. What I mean to say is that "3d multiplayer game" isn't really a foundation for help. You need to decide things in more detail, then decide on what platforms you want to release it on. Then we can tell you not to do it, and just go make trivial programming exercise games instead to build experience, but that's the way it goes.

You start by figuring out what you actually want to make, rather than just a hodgepodge of bullet points.

Then you cry when you realize that what you just described is sort of like walking into NASA and saying "I want to make a rocket ship, how do I start?"

no.....

"how do I start?" more simple then that???

no.....

Seriously, you start by throwing away your aspiration and making simpler games. Maybe that's writing little console games like "guess the number", or maybe it's jumping a bit further ahead and trying to build simple 2D games with tools like Game Maker.

3D is hard. Networking ("Multiplayer") is really hard. If you have to ask, you're simply not ready for them.

no.....

Seriously, you start by throwing away your aspiration and making simpler games. Maybe that's writing little console games like "guess the number", or maybe it's jumping a bit further ahead and trying to build simple 2D games with tools like Game Maker.

3D is hard. Networking ("Multiplayer") is really hard. If you have to ask, you're simply not ready for them.

Are you serious? throwing away your aspiration??

I said how I start creating 3d game not a 2d gamemaker game. I used gamemaker 4 years ago and I made some games with it but I want to start 3d now. You dont have to answer if you can't help couse probably you don't know to create sh!t.

You need at least a basic understanding of programming languages before you can do that. It's like picking up a guitar and expecting someone to make you Jimi Hendrix just because you can play Smoke on the Water.

You're just setting yourself up for a lot of frustration. And you will be pounding your head against the wall all the time. Start simple like the other have suggested. It won't be an awesome 3d multiplayer game, but at least it will be something you have made from scratch.

Seriously, the question is too ambiguous to answer without more information. What sort of programming experience do you have, using which languages, which software packages do you have access to, do you possess modelling skills, artistic skills, networking skills, and most importantly, what are your expectations (what exactly do you want to achieve)?

Without that information, it's a 'how long is a piece of string' type question.

1. Develop a single-player 3d game, including all the features you would want a single player to have in a multiplayer game.

2. Add the capability for a second player - decide where the second player is - same keyboard? same machine? on a network? on the web? Add a second set of inputs into your game engine; update both players with information about the other player (position, activity, score, etc.).

3. Extend what you've learned to include additional players.

Please don't PM me with questions. Post them in the forums for everyone's benefit, and I can embarrass myself publicly.

You don't forget how to play when you grow old; you grow old when you forget how to play.

One reason you are getting such a negative response is that this sounds essentially like one of the cliche questions by beginners: "I want to make Quake/Half Life/Unreal/Call of Duty". You're not the first person to ask it, you probably won't be the last. It's pretty much impossible to point you in the right direction without knowing more about what you want to do.

You could download Unity and make something there to start you off. You could download UDK and do the same thing. You could use an existing 3D graphics engine and networking library. You could learn enough C++ and OpenGL and code the whole thing from scratch. Some of these options are less sane than others, based on what little you've told us, but they're options and it's hard to be more specific without more openness on your part.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement