• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

How to get rid of this?

This topic is 1365 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hiya, i was wondering if someone could help me with a design flaw in my library's vector and matrice code. See, like i posted here, i always need to access the x,y,z part of the vector by the letter v, and m for matrices.

Another example would be

ApplyMatrixToVector(&p->ThrustVector.v, &p->JetMatrix.m);

It's kinda annoying to have those v and m letters appended everywhere, but im affraid to modify the code since it work perfectly well.

Also, I know the ApplyMatrixToVector() should be done by overriding the '*' operator but it's already overloaded for something else i think.

Here the source:

vector.h

vector.cpp

Matrix.h

Matrix.cpp

Thx

EDIT: Humm, i know the the header file look a bit strange, it was done that way to compile the library either normally or in dll for multiples languages, just don't mind the #defines (another thing to fix, i need to remove this, but that i dont need help with :) )

Edited by Vortez

Advertisement

Ok, so i was speaking with Kathar the other night in the chat about those classes and he did a wonderfull job helping me out. The thing is, im not very used to reference in c++, i always use pointers, but i understand what they are and, i almost understand when to use them but it's tripping me off sometime. Here's the code:

Vector.h

Vector.cpp

Matrix.h

Matrix.cpp

What i don't get is, should't this, for example

CMatrix _EXP_FUNC operator+(CMatrix m1, const CMatrix &m2);

be

CMatrix _EXP_FUNC operator+(const CMatrix &m1, const CMatrix &m2);

???

It mostly confuse me in operator overloading functions... maybe he just missed that, or am i wrong?

What i don't get is, should't this, for example

CMatrix _EXP_FUNC operator+(CMatrix m1, const CMatrix &m2);

be

CMatrix _EXP_FUNC operator+(const CMatrix &m1, const CMatrix &m2);

???

It mostly confuse me in operator overloading functions... maybe he just missed that, or am i wrong?

Follow how the operators are implemented and how the arguments are used. The + operator is implemented as

CMatrix operator+(CMatrix m1, const CMatrix &m2)
{
    m1.Add(m2);
    return m1;
}

where m1.Add(m2) is equivalent to m1 += m2. If you pass m1 as a reference as well, you wouldn't be able to update it and then return it.

You can of course make m1 a const reference as well, but you would then have to create a temporary matrix to hold the result of the addition.

CMatrix operator+(const CMatrix &m1, const CMatrix &m2)
{
    CMatrix res = Add(m1, m2); // pseudo-function that returns m1+m2
    return res;
}

The non-reference variant uses m1 as that temporary variable.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement