Where is a good place to start?

Started by
5 comments, last by shinypixel 9 years, 12 months ago

I have a basic storyboard written out for a rpg I want to make. Is there a logical next step to take?

What i mean is, what is the general steps one takes to build a game?

When should i start coding?

What do i need to do before hand?

Advertisement

The exact answer depends on who you are and what you want to accomplish.

What do you know how to do? What are your skills? What technology are you going to use? What engine?

Story is one part of an RPG, but it's not the most important part. Who is the player? What do they do in the game? What is their moment to moment experience like?

Even on my own projects, I usually do some pre-production: I build prototypes of parts of the game, I write up the design doc to force myself to think through the systems and their relationships, I sketch out concept art. If it's just for me, it doesn't have to be too polished, but the idea is to solve problems before I have to undo hours of work to fix them. (If it's a game jam game, that's more like a prototype, but even there I'll usually sketch out something.)

I have a basic storyboard written out for a rpg I want to make. Is there a logical next step to take?

Dont start with an RPG if this is your first game.

What i mean is, what is the general steps one takes to build a game?

Choose a platform(one is enough:)), choose a programming language(or experiment with a few and see which one works for you). Choose an IDE. Decide which engine/libraries/tools you want to use. ....do a research about them.

"When should i start coding?":

Depends. What is your current skill with programming?

I understand c++ at probably an intermediate level and I've been learning directx and shaders. I can render, texture and light simple primatives. I also have experience with modeling software. I essentailly want to create a strategic squad based game like X-com but with more rpg elements and character development.

Who is the player? What do they do in the game? What is their moment to moment experience like?

The main character is a sinthetic bred humaniod. Sent to a planet to establish a defensive perimeter and deal with any imposing threats. They will undertake a series of battles with a top down view of the battlefeild positioning the squad and issue attack and defensive orders. When not in battle they will engage in conversations and uncover

intelligence and clues into the storyline. I am going to use manga style characters (think ghost in a shell).

I build prototypes of parts of the game

What sort of prototypes? Do you start trying to implement mechanics and input. Do you work on the interface? Or do you build assets or settings first?

Dont start with an RPG if this is your first game.

I know its not the smartest idea to start with. And I dont expect great or even good results, its mainly a learning exercise where I can run into roadblocks and then find solutions for them.

What sort of prototypes?

A "test game" where you have the basic game mechanics and other core features implemented. ....without any eye-candy, sound, menus. And without any optimizations. The point is to see wheter the game will be fun or not. You dont want to invest months of work into a game just to realize that the core gameplay / "combat system" actually sucks. Once the prototype is done and it seems fun you can start building on it and add the details ....or throw it away and start implementing the real game from scratch(maybe using different tools).

Ok, thankyou both for your time, ill set out making some sketches and prototypes. biggrin.png

The best way to start is the following (though languages/tools differ from person to person, all equally fine):

1) Learn C.

2) Learn data structures for learning how to store character inventories, 3d maps, arrays, linked lists, hash maps, etc.

3) Use C for your first 10 games (we're talking Pong, Tetris, small games). Small language, small learning curve, small beginnings.

4) Start looking into C++. Don't go class-crazy at first. Keep things simple. C-89 is the base document of C++, and low-level programming is still often found in C++ programs.

5) Use the knolwedge that you learned for your RPG. Think of all you learned as the foundation for your RPG. Nothing is a waste of time. Everything adds to your long-term project.

Good luck!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement