Magic advancement system

Started by
24 comments, last by powerneg 9 years, 11 months ago
I'm struggling to create a reasonable magic advancement system.
Some of the popular systems, like WoW, just have spells purchased at a Trainer, which seems a very mundane way of acquiring arcane knowledge.
I'd like to create a system that felt more, well... magical.
The background to the system is that the mage could 'draw' energy from the surrounding environment, and channel that to cast the spell.
The spells themselves are composed of both a 'type' spell and a 'target' spell, so casting "Fire" and "Other" might cast a fireball, but "Fire" and "Self" might wrap the caster in a column of protective flame.
(It's not original, but I like the flexibility and experimentation that it offers)
So, the first issue is that I don't want a beginner mage to be able to cast the most powerful spell - there should be some advancement, but would that be for the mage, or the spell?
So, either a powerful mage can cast any spell at its most potent once learned, or a mage would have to work with a particular spell for a long time to get proficient at it, and get the most from it.
The latter seems more appropriate, but I'm worried about the amount of book-keeping that is then involved.
Should there be some sort of spell research system where a mage spends time in their library or laboratory to become proficient in the spell? Again, I like this, but I don't want to force the player to perform repeatative uninteresting tasks just to be able to use a spell. Would this work if the time was assigned and then it all happened while they weren't logged in?
Advertisement

Okay, well first of all, I would probably consider the idea that depending on a players level it would increase the potency of a spell, this allows a player access to a large range of spells, while still promoting advancing their levels and abilities.

Forcing a player to "spend time" is debatable, remember the purpose of a game is to extract a person from reality, but at the same time there needs to be some reward for work, it's an idea worth tinkering with anyway in my opinion.

Regarding advancement, you could combine the two ideas: Allow the 'level' of the mage to apply some base enhancement to each spell cast, such as increased base damage dealt/shielded. Alongside this, you could allow the mage to learn a basic form of each spell and, with repeated use, allow them to use a more advanced form.

I like the idea of 'drawing' power from the environment. Reminds me of the ability to draw from enemies in FFVIII. How about drawing 'reagents' from the environment and giving (some, if not all) spells a specific cost that is needed to be able to cast them? You could also include the research element here, study the collected reagents to learn more about their effects?

Should there be some sort of spell research system where a mage spends time in their library or laboratory to become proficient in the spell?

This is a really cool idea. The concept of research is something I think could work really well in a practical setting.

As to how one can achieve this, I would tend to think that to call it spell 'research' while nesting outside of tedium will be a challenge. Personally I would consider research to be something that you could use to help intertwine the character-power mechanics with the elements of the world. For example, a fairly basic idea that might be interesting food for thought could be a means of using the loot from certain enemies as a means to 'transmute' (to some degree) reagants that would be forever with the player from that point. I think this could be a really good way to promote exploration and side questing.

Rough example: you get the "fire heart" of some demon breed/elemental or something that is found in some area that is non obligatory, however obtaining the heart and transmuting it with some means will allow you to permanently have the potency of the heart stored in a stone you created which is simply regarded as some sort of extra passive ability, i.e an ability that buffs your fire, or allows your area of affect fire spells to affect a greater range.

As for doing this within a laboratory, that could lead to some epic feelings of progression and adventure as you venture out and back into your lab to create a trinket that would empower you. This coincides nicely, in my opinion, with your approach to have your mage "draw" energies from other places, rather than simply conjuring it. Not only this, but the breadth you could push this mechanic to would be immense, spanning throughout the entire game as a means for people to get tangible benefits from exploration.

Keep in mind this is just an idea. There are many, many other ways. Maybe this is just something to serve as food for thought.

The background to the system is that the mage could 'draw' energy from the surrounding environment, and channel that to cast the spell.

So what exactly are you thinking of? I can interpret this sentence in a couple ways: The player could simply have an automatically regenerating mana pool. Or they could have a 'draw energy' ability that keeps them from attacking/using weaker spells (or possibly even moving) in order to charge enough to use a more potent spell. (The player would just charge their energy to max every time before going into combat, so you might want to limit its use, maybe keeping them from holding on to energy for too long.)

Perhaps different types of spell would use different types of energy and so the player would have to pick which spells they want to be able to use (they might have a cap on total energy). Perhaps different areas would have different energy concentrations, adding a tactical depth through maneuvering. Or certain areas could be drained of energy, either just because they have a limited amount, or by using a specialized 'drain energy' spell (that would of course be less efficient than 'draw energy', if it exists, but could deprive an enemy mage of power).

That kind of switched from interpretation to brainstorming half-way through, didn't it.

Perhaps different areas would have different energy concentrations, adding a tactical depth through maneuvering.

Now that's a cool idea. That would be such a good way to ensure the game has good pacing too as well. The only problem would be creating a system that's too complex early on, but I suppose that could be counteracted by the environments at the start being fairly basic. That would be really good to work in adventure while justifying it with different means of magical power / experimentation. That's the sort of thing that if any part is removed, the core is broken.

by using a specialized 'drain energy' spell

I don't really understand this, do you mean something that could allow a player to intentionally drain an area of magical power OR a player? Or would it only be used to drain the energy of an environment which an enemy seems to be specializing in?

Another idea might be that they have to learn fire from say, studying a flame and learning the properties of it. That way it forces the player to travel to obtain new skills, and you can keep the higher level stuff in areas that are harder to reach.

My current game: MMORPGRTSFPSRLG. Read: Some sort of mmorpg with a special something that will make everyone want to play but I wont tell you what it is.

Team Openings: None

For serious though, my goal is to create a MMO. What kind? Not sure yet. MMO games are my passion and it's a goal of mine to change the industry for the better. Do I know it's an unrealistic goal? Yes. Do I care? Heck no.

If you ever need someone to bounce ideas off of, feel free to contact me.

--------------------------Hail New^Internet

Another idea might be that they have to learn fire from say, studying a flame and learning the properties of it. That way it forces the player to travel to obtain new skills, and you can keep the higher level stuff in areas that are harder to reach.

What would studying entail? I feel like that is the key to making the process more interesting than simply "go to place x and pick up flame y and get skill z."

The spells themselves are composed of both a 'type' spell and a 'target' spell, so casting "Fire" and "Other" might cast a fireball, but "Fire" and "Self" might wrap the caster in a column of protective flame.

I recently through together a rough prototype of something similar as a board game -- an excellent way of quickly testing these sort of mechanics without having to put in a lot of programming effort up front -- and I had expanded on the possibilities by providing additional targeting options; a spell could target self (healing or defensive spells), other (target a specific individual other than yourself), radial burst (spell effect applies in an expanding ring around your location), cone (target a cone-shaped area expanding outwards from your location), line (targets a line, useful for making "wall" type effects).

This doesn't directly help with "levelling" the spell capabilities, but it does provide additional options.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Don't confuse different aspects of the magic system that are actually rather independent, particularly strategic improvement (acquiring new spells or improved variants of old spells), tactical spellcasting (e.g. gathering energy, performing rituals, hitting targets, etc.) and intermediate time scales (e.g. "preparing" spells in advance, D&D style, or keeping magical objects ready).

What is it that should feel more "magical" than learning from a trainer? What do you really need in your game?

Making study a boring activity that is left off screen and skipped over, but actual spellcasting player-skill-intensive, cool and complex, is as legitimate as making learning spells a varied collection of mystical revelations and discoveries, themselves an important part of the plot, but casting spells simple and dependable like mundane melee or ranged combat.

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement