Interesting animation issue

Started by
1 comment, last by Stainless 9 years, 11 months ago

I've been writing a tool for testing mods for a flight simulator, it's gone well and I can handle all the basic functions.

The problem is animation.

In the game they use a java class for each plane. This has methods like moveGear, moveBays, etc.

moveGear animates the landing gear, moveBays animates the bomb bay doors, you get the idea.

I have written the app in C# using XNA as a renderer in a winforms application.

My initial idea to handle animation was to parse the java source code into C#, replacing calls into the game engine with my own functions and compiling the generated C# class on the fly.

This worked for the plane I was using as a test case, but doesn't work as a general solution. Every java coder writes code in a slightly different way, there's issues with inheritance, oh man so many problems.

I'm thinking about embedding a JVM into the app and running the java class without editing. With this in mind I have hacked out all the java classes from the actual game. So it would be feasible to run the java.

I haven't got any clue how I would extract the animation data from the java and into my code, but that's a problem for the pub.

Anybody got any better ideas?

It would be a pity to only do half the job, and just looking at a static mesh isn't as much fun as animating it.

Advertisement

Maybe you can use something like ikvmc to compile the Java bytecode to IL.

Or something like jni4net.

yes, that's what I was thinking.

complicated to get the data back from java to my code though.

need beer to think about it.... should that be 'time' ?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement