Environmental Engine

Started by
-1 comments, last by Ronan Jones 9 years, 11 months ago
I have, over the last year, taught myself how to code in C# and use Unity 3D in order to be able to make a small and simple Unity 3D demonstration of the Environmental Engine (I may have gotten a little side tracked along the way with other projects though).
The Environmental Engine is simply a set of mathematical equations relating plants, trees, resources, animals and creeps to one another. This is done so that when players go harvest natural resources from the environment their actions have a more far reaching, natural effect on the world they play in. These effects could have a forest grow larger or cause the population of some species of plant or animals to crash. The point of it is to add more gameplay aspects and mechanics; create a non-static world and simply immerse players in the world they find themselves.
I have uploaded a three part presentation to Youtube. Just a warning that my mic is rather poor, but I would really appreciate it if you toughed it out. My presentations are simple and amateurish but they will give you a good idea of what exactly the Environmental Engine is.
Part One: This is a slide show presentation explaining the engine conceptually, why it was made, where it is applicable and what it benefits it may add to a game.
Part Two: This is a spreadsheet demonstration taking a demo environment and altering the some of the variable to see how the environment reacts over 300 time steps.
Part Three: This is a demonstration on Unity 3D showing how, specifically Tree populations, change as we remove a portion of some other plant populations. This will show how an environment can change naturally, in this case how a forest can grow larger.
Thank you for your time.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement