What's a good language/engine to try for someone who can animate and learn code fast?

Started by
4 comments, last by Serapth 9 years, 11 months ago

I'm on a VFX course at uni, but I'd like to sometime give creating my own game a shot, and I could do with a recommendation on what engine/language I should start with, based on what I'm good at and what I'd eventually like to achieve with it.

I'm able to animate in 3D pretty well, and I'm quite a fast learner with code, and can think quite logically to get around problems. I'm also all right with some more artistic type stuff, and have done a few scripts that rely on random generation based on some inputs to produce some nice looking stuff (

is an example of something that started as a maze script and just went weird but fairly cool).

Eventually I'd like to have a mostly procedurally generated first person shooter with some RPG elements (I suppose like borderlands crossed with starforge or something), though I know I definitely won't be able to start anywhere near that. Would it be possible to create a very basic game with basic code, and then replace bits and build it up slowly? So for example, you might start with a simple model of untextured hills for the level, then separately as you get more confident, you build some script that'll generate an infinte world, and then swap this into the game without breaking anything?

Also, I'd prefer to avoid starting on 2D games, I'm willing to start from scratch, but I'd much prefer a bare bones 3D setup that can be improved

Advertisement

looks like your answer lies within Unity

and yes you can build up as you go, in fact I would argue that is the only way you should do it - just be aware that most code or scripts you make will eventually be replaced no matter how hard you try to make something reusable

so avoid trying too hard - reusable stuff can only be made with lots of experience

But you should take a look at Unity

Ah thanks, guess I'll use that then, as to the language do you have any recommendations? I know python but I also get that it's not particularly game friendly, and I've heard c++ may potentially be very good, but that's from some guy making a 2D game so I don't know if it'd work for everything :P

If you want to stick with Python, Panda3D is a good choice. I'm using it. It doesn't compare well to Unity (no scene editor, packaging woes, small community, almost "dead-looking" website) but it does have everything you need to make a good 3D game using only Python and a 3D modeler (Blender is best supported but there is also support for Maya and 3ds).

Unity supports Boo, which is a very Python-like .NET language, similar to how UnityScript is a similar-to-JavaScript (but not quite the same) language targeted at .NET.

Sean Middleditch – Game Systems Engineer – Join my team!

VFX guy, is that your end goal?

If so, stick with Python, its probably hands down the most used for TD jobs in the industry. ( Maya, Motion Builder, Houdini, Blender, Cinema 4D, to name but a few ). For games you can check out Pygame for 2D work, or Panda for 3D.

If you don't care all that much about a future as a TD, screw python. :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement