minimum system requirments

Started by
2 comments, last by sofsenint 22 years, 5 months ago
Hi! I was wondering if there was some way to figure out the minimum system requirements of a program without needing to take hours to count every object, etc. I know this is wishfull(sp.?) thinking, but is there a program that can do this for me? Any solutions would be great! Thanks!
-----------------------------Weeks of programming can save you hours of planning.There are 10 kinds of people in this world-- those who understand binary and those who don't.
Advertisement
The only way I am aware of is trying in many different systems as possible. I doubt there is a program or formula you could use as there is just too many possible combinations or graphics cards, ram, ram speeds, bus speeds, clock speeds, etc., etc.
One way to figure out the minimum memory required for your application is to obtain free memory from the system before starting your code and later when you allocate all the memory required, doing it again. The diffrence will be approximately the amount of memory your application needs. However this is not very good solution it is easiest one. The another would be to use custom memory manager in your code to monitor every allocation and deallocation of memory and to perform final report. This way you can get more accurate result.
Other requirements are a matter of "horse power" your code needs to run smoothly. This is application specific and you can estimate it by testing your code on diffrent machines. The more the better.

Thanks for the help!

Jordan S.
-----------------------------Weeks of programming can save you hours of planning.There are 10 kinds of people in this world-- those who understand binary and those who don't.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement