• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Should I try out 3D game programming?

This topic is 1360 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Okay So I have been coding 2d games in C++/Allegro for nearly a year now. I've made handful of games/demos:

Zelda

Sonic:

Super Mario

A Soundboard

1942 clone:

Pong/Breakout:

For my next project im thinking of trying out 3d using opengl with allegro. But my main concern is that I might forget all this 2d stuff I have learned and biting more than I can chew. But I want to try something new especially since I have more time in the summer. I don't know what to do: continue making 2d games or try out 3d? What do you guys think?

Advertisement

If you ever want to make 3D games, you have to start sometime.

You won't 'forget' all the 2D stuff you've learned, as you'll end up using a lot of the techniques and things anyway, and a quick review will get you back in the saddle if you decide to go back.

If you're perfectly happy making 2D games and feel that's where you want to be, then by all means keep getting better at it.

If it is 3D that you want to do, by all means go for it.
You seem plenty experienced in 2D by now, and that's not something you'll forget. But it's also important to keep learning new things, and 3D adds alot of new challenges and excitement.

There's tons more to the world of 3D and it looks daunting at first, but all you're doing is adding a new dimension! 

Go for it dude.

Yeah I love doing 2d games and i have morr plans for it (Zelda 2 clone) but im getting kinda tired now. I want to try opengl so i can do something like fzero or doom. I bought opengl game programming, i flipped through it and the material looks pretty heavy compared to 2d.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement