Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PR 4.01 with shadow engine released.

This topic is 5885 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Guest Anonymous Poster

Sorry to post an obvious question but what exactly is the difference between this and the existing terrain and BSP shadow systems?

Old shadows: software rendered, soft edges, only shadows on terrain, works on all cards including voodoo1

New shadows: hardware rendered using stencil buffer, hard edges, shadows on terrain, other objects, and self shadowing, only works on newer cards with stencil buffer.

You can mix both techniques in a single level. To switch between them you simply toggle a checkbox in the object properties within Landscape Studio.

Author of Power Render (http:/www.powerrender.com)

No, since stencil shadows are based on polygon edges. You''ll have to model hair like that using polygons rather than a texture trick.

Author of Power Render (http:/www.powerrender.com)

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by ChrisE
No, since stencil shadows are based on polygon edges. You''ll have to model hair like that using polygons rather than a texture trick.

But the older shadow method worked with alpha on texture right?

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by ChrisE
Yes.

Support in 2 minutes. You can''t beat that... heh

Couple of bugs in the shadow engine:

1) Rendering to textures doesn''t work for the reflections now, it gives a clear failed error.

2) I haven''t put in text string in the .LS files so you can control the default stencil shadow volumes of an object yet.

These will be added/fixed soon.

hi Chris, i cannot connect to the ftp. You sent me the "new" address on 10/04/01, and it doesnt seem to be responding.

I noticed on the powerrender.com site, that the new shadow stuff is in the ftp, along with an updated exporter. << but i dont see any info on what has changed in the exporter. Wich exporter? the biped or the prout aka marcos plugin? Speaking of plugins, I have been getting an error in the biped exporter. it is failing in a call to checkesp << (for now i have fixed the problem simply by binary editing msvcrtd to make checkesp just nop,nop,ret : ) I am running 3dsmax 4.2 with the character studio update, and compiling with the new 4.2 headers/libs. btw: the calling convention being used is __stdcall <<

anyway, I made a modification to the biped exporter, so you can select a "time frame" to export. IE frames: 70 to 200 out of 0 to 1000 for example. This makes clipping frames out of an animation a breeze. I suggest you do the same to your exporter. (it only takes 5 minutes to add this capability)

I also added some stuff to prout, like a checkbox to make all objects export with rgb of white so i dont get green/blue/red objects and have to go back and reset all of the rgb values in proedit to white.

anyway, fix the ftp! : )

thanks,
Michael Morton