• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

AI interaction with rest of engine

This topic is 1355 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Let's say I have AI that wants to go from one point to another. It finds path and starts to move. What do I do here? I just move character along path? Or use some sort of character controller (line the one I use for playable character to move)?

Advertisement

The character should have a class Locomotor that takes care of its movement along the path. That way, it can walk/drive/crawl/swim depending on its capabilities and state.

Let's say I have AI that wants to go from one point to another. It finds path and starts to move. What do I do here? I just move character along path? Or use some sort of character controller (line the one I use for playable character to move)?

Depends on the game.  I have a third person shooter game with bots, the AI basically acts just like a player, and only gives inputs just like a player would.  So the AI would find a path, then translate that path into the current input to report.  

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement