• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mouser9169

Dammerung: Requiem for Tomorrow (playable demo)

0 posts in this topic

This is the project I've been working on for the past year or so (took a break when my daughter was getting ready for college).

The official thread for the project is HERE.

The demo can be downloaded HERE.

A detailed description of the game, characters, and features is on the official thread, as well as a consolidation of feedback I've gotten so far.

The download is a self extracting .exe that contains everything needed to play the game (game.exe).

Given the choice between putting the demo out early, having you guys tell me it sucks and why, or waiting until I think it's good enough, then putting it out and having you guys tell me it sucks and why, I'm going with the first option. That will let me get the game on the path to non-suckage faster. It is stable, there should be no game breaking bugs or issues of that nature. There are a few oddities in the text (potions land 'painful blows' when they do a critical double heal), but nothing that hinders gameplay that I've found.

Disclaimer: The game's story is intended to ask serious questions about the human condition: life, religion (no real world religions represented), sexuality (mostly handled through innuendo, entendre, and fade to black), and pretty much any other topic that can come up in a grown up conversation. It includes mild 'language'. I've tried to not put in anything I wouldn't want my 12 year old daughter seeing (well, she's older now, but she was 12 once). Then again, at nine her favorite show was Law and Order:SVU, so take that for what you will.

The game itself is a 2D jRPG style game made with RPG Maker VX Ace. It handles both keyboard or mouse control. The engine is designed for keyboard (or gamepad) input - hold your right hand over the arrow keys to move, use <Enter> for choices/actions and <Ins> on the numpad to bring up the menu or cancel. This leaves your left hand free to hold your beer cool.png

I'd be seriously grateful to anyone who takes the time to try it out and give me honest feedback (I've got thick skin, so don't hold back). The demo runs about four to five hours, and serves as the 'prologue' to the main story. There is a Big Bad at the end to give a sense of 'completion'. The choices you make are permanent (advice: save when you enter Lumina Sound) - most will bring some advantage with a possible disadvantage as well.

In the very early going, Sofia (the 'main' character) has a choice to have Jaxl (another PC) be either her lover or her friend. This choice is permanent. I wanted the freedom to have romantic moments or scenes without the player worrying about making the 'right' choices or keeping up some 'relationship score'.

Thanks again in advance to anyone willing to give it a look-see. And again, there's more info on the official thread, linked at the top.