• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Marcus Ramsey

recreate frostbite destruction physics

This topic is 1595 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello!

I want to know if there is any detailed information on the web talking about how the frostbite engine achieved such a lvl of distructable environments. And the techniques they used. I am trying to recreate very similar environment destruction in cryengine.ive followed some tutorials, but they all don't look like what you see in battlefield 4 not to mention the frame rate always drops. How can I create distruction like what you see in battlefield 4 but also keep the performance high for large scale multiplayer. Thank you!

Advertisement

I vote BSP tree, where each destructive event finds multiple shear planes to 'chop up' the world (or relevant piece/portion), and treat each individual chunk as an independent object. But I have no idea what they are actually doing.

There are probably multiple systems at multiple levels of detail at work here. There's a presentation on how they did smaller scale destruction in their frostbite 2 engine by using a technique they call "Destruction masking using volume distance fields", they're probably also using this to some extent in frostbite 3.

The slides for this can be found here: http://www.slideshare.net/DICEStudio/siggraph10-arrdestruction-maskinginfrostbite2

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!