• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

opengl question

This topic is 1353 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement

Is it one you've already asked before? If so, the response is likely to be predictable. Are you prepared to take the advice of the responders, and make an honest effort to understand it and use it to solve your problem? If not, then again the response is likely to be unpleasant.

Unfortunately, you have made a name for yourself among many of the members of this community, and I believe it is going to take extraordinary effort on your part to overcome that. You are free to post, as none of your posts technically violate any hard rules, but just understand that if you expect anything good to come of it, you are going to have to work very hard.

I have to admit I'm interested in seeing where this goes...

As far as I can tell, the forums are (still!) open for people asking questions. Keep in mind that, as L. Spiro (and probably others) has mentioned before, there are good/effective ways to ask questions, and there are bad/ineffective ways. This has all been said before, so I won't repeat it here.

If you have a simple question I would encourage you to ask it. If it's something which can be answered in a sensible manner, I'm sure people will answer.

Regardless, good luck with whatever you're trying to accomplish, even though I don't personally really see the point in making a thread to ask whether you can ask something.

well it has been almost 2 months since I posted to this forum. is it still ok if I ask a very simple question?
If you don't know the answer, how do you know it is simple?

well I have done a lot of reading about opengl, in fact I am reading the "red book" which is the opengl programming guide. however I have a very simple question to ask. I have searched the internet for answers but I am still a little confused. All I want to do is shoot a bullet sprite from a space ship sprite. I want to shoot bullets like in asteroids, in a machine gun fashion. I am using the space bar to shoot bullets. here is the code I working on.

void

bullet()
{
up += 0.5f;

if (up >= 18.0f)
{
up = 0.0f;
}
}
void

handleKeypress(unsigned char key, int x, int y) {

switch (key) {

case 27: //Escape key
exit(0);

break;

case 32: //Space Bar
bullet();

break;
}
glutPostRedisplay();
}

I know this is a very simple question but I need a new set of eyes to look at this problem.

thank you in advance for your patience. I am doing the best that I can do.

I'm sorry, but have you been trolling for a whole decade now?

Downvote me all you want, but I can not stop laughing.

Phil, have you really been programming for 10 years? I looked at your first posts, and I'm amazed at how you're still trying to grasp the basics.

If you haven't managed to understand the basics by now, you will probably never do so.

I have a feeling I'm not the first one to tell you this.

I'm honestly feeling really, really weird writing this post. I just can't comprehend the fact that you've been trying to learn programming for 10 years. It feels like I'm daydreaming and that my post doesn't make sense. It is just that weird.

Edit:

Also, you say: "Am I just stupid?"

Sure, that might be the case. However, it's maybe the fact that you do not have a talent related to programming.

People like to say that as long as you work hard enough, you will accomplish things. The reality of it is that you have to work hard and be talented.

Let's face it; you have no talent within the realm of programming. Try something different.

Edited by diventurer

well then am I just stupid?

Way to miss the point.

Edit:

To clarify. Yes. I now see you as a stupid person.

Edited by diventurer

This topic is 1353 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.