Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

os development question

This topic is 5888 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

for some things in OS development need to be written in Assembly and assemebled into flat binary format like the bootloader and some other things. Question is this: can I use MSVC 6.0 to do this ? I know I can use inline assembly in MSVC (cant quite remember how right off the top of my head but will find out) but can it compile/assemble to flat binary format (.bin i think) ? Or is there a utility that will take an .exe made by MSVC and turn it into a flat binary file ? "I pity the fool, thug, or soul who tries to take over the world, then goes home crying to his momma." - Mr. T

I know about NASM and have used it. I have had trouble linking the .s assembly files with my .c source files. I was hoping that I could just use inline assembly in MSVC and have it compile to a flat binary format so I wouldnt have to mess around trying to get it to work froma command line.

"I pity the fool, thug, or soul who tries to take over the world, then goes home crying to his momma."
- Mr. T