Is Unity 2D worth it?

Started by
14 comments, last by dissid 9 years, 10 months ago

Hey guys, I've decided to make some projects on mobile game development with a friend, we are both very experienced in programming overall, and I have some experience in game development with C++ and Unity.
From what we have seen, we can either program it in Java or C# with Unity, the problem is I HATE Java.

So my question to you is, am i really doomed to swallow my hatred and work with Java or is Unity 2D really worth it? I've heard that you have to convert it to make it operational and that may lead to slower and heavier programs etc.

Thank you very much in advance.

Advertisement

From what we have seen, we can either program it in Java or C# with Unity, the problem is I HATE Java.

Well Javascript actually, there is no Java in Unity3D, and it depends of the 2D game you have. If you can roll with C++ maybe better to go with a simpler route.

"Smoke me a kipper i'll be back for breakfast." -- iOS: Science Fiction Quiz

I've heard that you have to convert it to make it operational and that may lead to slower and heavier programs etc.

Convert what? I've used Unity for a couple years now at work and nothing really rings a bell...

Well Javascript actually, there is no Java in Unity3D, and it depends of the 2D game you have. If you can roll with C++ maybe better to go with a simpler route.

Nono, what I meant was, I either use Java and its tools to develop or use Unity.

I've heard that you have to convert it to make it operational and that may lead to slower and heavier programs etc.

Convert what? I've used Unity for a couple years now at work and nothing really rings a bell...

Maybe converting is not the expression I was looking for but I've heard that the user may need some Unity plugin to be able to play the game in their mobile device.

If you're looking to learn mobile games, they're generally written in Javascript. So by starting Javascript, you might have an edge in the future, when it comes to if you want to make a mobile game.

Besides Unity 2D, and Javascript, there are other options... but most of them use scripting when it comes down to it, meaning you won't necessarily be coding in Javascript or C#.

Hey guys, I've decided to make some projects on mobile game development with a friend, we are both very experienced in programming overall, and I have some experience in game development with C++ and Unity.

So my question to you is, am i really doomed to swallow my hatred and work with Java or is Unity 2D really worth it? I've heard that you have to convert it to make it operational and that may lead to slower and heavier programs etc.

Thank you very much in advance.

You can use more languages, why only Java or C# plus Unity? You can even develop games in C++ if you make a layer to display it on Android/iOS/WP

Also, you can make games with HTML5 plus Javascript which will work in almost anything that supports a browser and javascript.

Maybe converting is not the expression I was looking for but I've heard that the user may need some Unity plugin to be able to play the game in their mobile device.

If you make a web game with Unity you need a Unity plugin to play (a ~1 MB download), for other platforms I've never read anything about plugins.

Maybe you're confused with creating the files for a certain platform... In Unity you must chose what plataforms you aim and you have to configure each build, you can chose different resolutions and other aspects for each build, and you can do it at any moment. It's like an "export" option, but the game is not converted, Unity just creates some more things that are needed (for any Android app you need an apk file with an Android manifest and a main activity, in Windows desktop you need a .exe file which creates a new windows, etc).

Thank you all so much for your replies.

So if I wish to build it on Unity, you're telling me that there is no problem to build it for mobile devices and it is reliable? I don't wanna make the mistake of realizing halfway through that I need to make it in Javascript or another language to make it efficient

The Unity engine works very well on mobile devices. Assuming you write high-quality code, your game will also work well across all mobile devices. The supported languages are C#, UnityScript (a very slightly modified version of JavaScript), and Boo (a slightly modified version of Python).

The Unity engine works very well on mobile devices. Assuming you write high-quality code, your game will also work well across all mobile devices. The supported languages are C#, UnityScript (a very slightly modified version of JavaScript), and Boo (a slightly modified version of Python).

Yes, that I do know, as I have learnt some stuff about Unity in the past, thank you. But what do you mean with "high-quality code" exactly?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement