Graphics baseline for a good-looking PC game?

Started by
23 comments, last by spek 9 years, 11 months ago

I was thinking about a variety of games that I've played. It can be hard (for me) to tell which graphical techniques they use. I would never aim to write a AAA killer (due to the effort/reward ratio), but what sort of techniques are expected for a game not to look dated? A few examples:

• Textures - simple, with normals, relief-mapped, procedurally generated, sub-surface scattering?
  • Geometry - number of polys, tessellation?
  • Lighting/shadows - forward, deferred, soft shadows, SSAO, global illumination?
  • Effects - HDR, bloom, FSAA, volumetric fog, god rays?
  • Sky - skybox, animated, day/night, weather, seasons?

What would be your baseline must-have for a FPS that won't turn off paying consumers?

Advertisement

Textures - the detail texture should be of at least size 1024x1024 except for small objects. Although something like 1368x768 is the average or most common screen resolution right now, count on most of your players for a FPS having at least 1680x1050 and being able to see every detail.

Geometry - a human character should have at least 10k polys. Less is accepted with normal-mapping, or using tessellation to boost things up.

What I can't stress enough is the importance of shaders these days. A good shader writer can potentially turn a dull, drab game into an exciting one, I think.

Lighting/shadows - forward, deferred, soft shadows, SSAO, global illumination?

This is the differentiation that's come about most in the last couple of generations. You need high-res textures/models, but by themselves they will still look like crap without good lighting techniques. Even less-realistic games put considerable time into lighting, shading, and so on.

Sean Middleditch – Game Systems Engineer – Join my team!

Although something like 1368x768 is the average or most common screen resolution right now

My intuition would have been 1920x1080, and that is confirmed by Steam's hardware survey. More than a third of Steam users have a 1080p (or better) display. My guess is that the majority of the people with less than that fall into the category of casual gamers and are less likely to playing the "good-looking PC games". 1080p monitors are so cheap and ubiquitous today that if you were going to buy or build a computer with the intention of playing video games, there would be no sense in getting anything less.

One huge difference I've noticed between really old games and new ones is the lack of repetitive textures. Some games seem to have an impossible texture budget. Do you think this is due to bigger textures, lots of textures plus splat mapping, fancy shaders, procedural textures, something else?

The quality of your art matters more :P
Bad art in a state-of-the-art engine will still look bad, but great art can make a very dated engine shine beyond its years.

Back on topic though - the genre that you're targeting will have a big impact on graphical expectations.

One huge difference I've noticed between really old games and new ones is the lack of repetitive textures. Some games seem to have an impossible texture budget. Do you think this is due to bigger textures, lots of textures plus splat mapping, fancy shaders, procedural textures, something else?

Just to take a guess, old games used impossibly small texture sizes, like 256x256. New games probably use an average closer to 2048x2048, which gives 64 times the detail of a 256x256 texture like you might see in the GameCube/original Xbox/PS2 days and shortly after. Texture detail has shot up like crazy over the years, and only a few developers haven't really taken advantage of it (Sonic 2006, I'm looking at you).

Actually to semi-answer my own question re textures, I was trying to find some good example screenshots, and I think that a huge factor is (a) increased poly/art budget therefore fewer huge flat chunks of land and (b) masking agents such as plants and volumetric grass which prevent seeing huge chunks of bare ground at a time.

IMO high-quality graphics is less about buzzwords, and more about having great interaction between your technology and the artists. You need to have talented artists, talented engineers, and a good working relationship between them. You also need a clear vision of what sort of look your game will have, and engineers that can make the right choices in how to deliver that look. There have been a lot of great-looking games that took low-tech approaches to their game, and they succeeded because they had a consistent vision and their tech was well-suited for the game they were making.

Obviously in a lot of cases you will end up using commonly-used techniques since they are well-understood and have good quality/performance characteristics, but that doesn't mean your game will look good just because your engine supports them. The engineers need to make the right choice in which techniques to use, and they need to understand them well enough to explain to the artists how to effectively use them. A good artist can make really crappy visuals with good tech if they don't understand it, or if the tech isn't well-suited to what they're trying to create.

One last critical point is that it's crucial to understand the scope of the game that you can pull off, and make sure that your game design and visuals are well-tailored to the limitations of your team. If you have a small team with limited money, you're not going to be able to pump out the insane amount of unique content that a large AAA studio can. So you won't be creating hundreds of unique meshes per level, along with dozens of unique motion-captured animations for non-interactive sequences. Instead it would be better to take a more minimalist approach, where you can reuse more content or otherwise avoid the need for lots of levels/game areas.

Well there's definitely more memory and manpower for creating unique textures, but a lot of it is due to techniques that are able to add unique detail using tileable textures. Many materials in modern games will blend together many maps, which can effectively hide the repetitiveness if done correctly. In our game all environment geometry uses "layer-blended" materials, where different maps and material properties are blended together based on blend weights stored in a vertex color channel. This gives you the ability to paint unique features and "break-up" even though the textures being used for each layer are tiles across the surface.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement