Beggining

Started by
16 comments, last by Maiku 22 years, 5 months ago
quote:Original post by spillsome
Visual Basic is not a language, it is a software from Microsoft.

Learn C/C++, that is all you need to make games.

this is just my opinion some might not agree with that

Actually, Java can be used with JNI in addition to c++. Some games, such as Vampire, have used this before. As a matter of fact, I think around 90% of the code was in Java. You probably should take time to learn at least one other language than C++, just so that you''ll be more adept in programming theory as well as application.

Advertisement
Well, from what I have read... and from what friends have suggested to me, I think I will either learn Java, or C/C++ first. Thanks for all your advice!

-Mike aka Maiku

Edited by - Maiku on November 3, 2001 8:02:43 PM
Ah, but spillsome, you are wrong.
Visual Basic IS a propper programming language, as is visual c++
Just because vb is developed by MS....
VB just has a visual aspect to it which speeds up a lot of the basic
visual tasks, so its handy for quick apps.
But if you use gdi or other api''s you will be able to skip the built in visual
aspect of vb and use he faster better api functions.
And vb5 (proffesional) + versions of vb run on a different engine than previous versions which makes the
code executions faster, so it evens up a bit with c++
Also direct x 8 is supposed to work wit vb so i dont think c++ is a better language, i consider both languages equal.
and vb is more user friendly, but there are some things c++ can do much easier

Anway, if your a beginner, forget about c++, and forget about vb and don worry about direct x (yet)

Learn DarkBASIC (www.DarkBASIC.com) its BASIC, it is designed for 3d games, it has all
the direct x stuff built in for ease of use (you need directx 7 or higher to un db)
You can get some awsome matrix and world editors, AND it was designed with begginers in mind, tutorias and help files are integrated into the compiler for user friendliness.

I think darkbasic rocks, and so far i have not come accross anything better.
"Though i walk through the valley of the shadow of death, iwill fear no evil, for i am the meanest motherfucker in the valley."
quote:Original post by TeraByte
Visual Basic IS a propper programming language, as is visual c++

Nope.. Visual Basic is a RAD IDE, the language itself is BASIC. Just as Delphi is a RAD IDE for Object Pascal. Visual C++ isnt a language neither, C++ is the language and MSVC is the IDE.

-----------------------"When I have a problem on an Nvidia, I assume that it is my fault. With anyone else's drivers, I assume it is their fault" - John Carmack
quote:Original post by Maximus
Nope.. Visual Basic is a RAD IDE, the language itself is BASIC. Just as Delphi is a RAD IDE for Object Pascal. Visual C++ isn''t a language neither, C++ is the language and MSVC is the IDE.

Look, a double negative! Sorry . Heh, I agree with what you''re saying though .

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]
I guess what your saying makes sence.

But because the IDE has all thse built in functions to make the visual aspect of programming easier does not make it not a propper language.
However, vb is a bt slow with its graphics functions, thats what you get for ease of use, but when you stop using the built in stuff
and use the api''s directly yu can do almost the exact same things as you can with c++, especially wih vb6 where the execution speed is almost the same as c++.

Anyway, i see what you mean, i guess visual basic is the rad ide for the basic language.

Still, for games programming, nothing beats DarkBASIC, especially if you have a good matrix editor and world editor to ease the job of making terrain.
(Though i guess that depends on personal prefference, but db still rocks!)
"Though i walk through the valley of the shadow of death, iwill fear no evil, for i am the meanest motherfucker in the valley."
Okay, well what I meant was. Should I learn how to develop with the program Visual Basic...
If C++ is a high level programming language what does it make VB? They certainly are not the same. If I were you, I wouldn''t learn vb.

It''s kinda like your preference though. I hate MFC as well. I guess if you do everything yourself, you''ll end up better in the end. C++ ain''t that hard if you keep at it long enough.

Haven''t tried DarkBasic yet but I see no reason for me to use it over C++. Moreover, if you''re looking for examples and tutorials, I''d bet that half of them is in C/C++.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement