Obtaining rights for a commissioned work

Started by
1 comment, last by JokerGamer 9 years, 11 months ago

Hey guys.

I'm an indie game developer, and developing my games at home as an individual, not in the name of a company.

During the development of my recent game, I have commissioned several artists to create the assets for my game. Now I want to copyright those assets under U.S. laws.

Is it possible to make an agreement between me and them, so the work is considered made-for-hire? Or do I have to be a company, organisation or something, to be able to obtain the rights?

I think this is a common problem in indie developers community, so I'm hoping to hear some useful info from you.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Advertisement

1. Is it possible to make an agreement between me and them, so the work is considered made-for-hire?
2. Or do I have to be a company, organisation or something, to be able to obtain the rights?

1. Yes.
2. No.

You want an Assignment Of Rights. Any lawyer can draw one up for you.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Thank you. I forget to say that I'm a foreigner, not a US citizen and even live outside US, but I need to obtain the copyright under US laws. Is it still possible? I know, I'm gonna need to consult to a lawyer to make sure, but nevertheless I wondered your opinion.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement