• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Acharis

Ministers & governors (AKA player's court)

This topic is 1640 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

You are a dictator of a tiny banana republic. You have cabinet (like 5 positions) for which you need to appoint ministers, provinces (around 8-12) which need governors and maybe army (like 3 positions) which require generals.

So you have a central government and a local government.

You have a pool of "officials", you take people from there and appoint to various positions. These officials have exactly 3 stats: competence (how good they are at anything), corruption (how much they steal - everyone does in that game biggrin.png) and loyalty (how loyal they are to you as a dictator); they could have also some special traits if you insist smile.png

An important part (I think) is competence being an universal stat, so there are no people being better as governors or as minister of justice, competent means competent at everything. This way the player is less limited who to appoint where (more choices, decision where to put best people).

Politics probably could be an issue here too. For example each official is either conservative or liberal. And you want to keep a certain ration of these in your government or face discontent (or, what worse, some faction might get too powerful if you give them all positions and overthrow you!). Alternatively, I'm thinking of making more factions than these two...

Questions:

1) How to make it (appointing/switching positions/browsing) interface wise?

2) How big the pool of offiicals should be? How new ones appear? Does old ones/unused disappear?

3) You can say something on the politics part (please keep it relatively simple, it's not a political sim!)

4) How to make it fun smile.png

Advertisement

2) How big the pool of offiicals should be? How new ones appear? Does old ones/unused disappear?

In theme with the game politicians could gain political power/influence while serving, when they get too powerfull they may start becoming a threat to the player.
(hiring assasinators to go after the emperor)

It's always hard for me to get this kind of discussion rolling for some reason. Maybe a picture will fuel the imagination :)

interface-officials_zpseb561e01.png

Let's talk about interface first.

As you see my first thought is to divide it into 2 parts, the list of available officials and the structure of your country's government. Drag and drop seems the most intuitive here... Althrough not sure...

interface-officials2_zps9ad63b73.png

Or maybe instead of a scrollable list put all availble officials on one screen (you are not allowed to recruit more - just to the 4x8 limit).

I feel like a dentist, everyone is afraid to post here :D

Well, I got one upvote of my second picture post, so I assume the "no list, see them all" wins.

Question about interface:

- let's assume the base mechanic is drag & drop (you move any official to another box/position and it switch places with whoever is ther (or takes the place if vacant))

- how to make dismissing (throwing out people from your "court", not dismissing from an office)? Just move the official to the red DISMISS box?

- but wouldn't it be confusing with a button like RECRUIT (which you click not drag & drop)?

Or maybe not make it drag and drop?

Hey,

Yes, the second picture is much better.

- let's assume the base mechanic is drag & drop (you move any official to another box/position and it switch places with whoever is ther (or takes the place if vacant))

- how to make dismissing (throwing out people from your "court", not dismissing from an office)? Just move the official to the red DISMISS box?

- but wouldn't it be confusing with a button like RECRUIT (which you click not drag & drop)?

I find drag and drop more natural, but that's more a personal preference than anything else.

Why forcing the player to throw them on the dismiss button ? Why not allowing any drag move outside of an minister slot to dismiss the selected guy instead ?

IMO the dismiss button should disappear or be moved to the left panel and be used to remove completely an unwanted potential recruit instead.

(ahem, i'm sick and i have the attention span of a goldfish)

So yeah, I'd make the dismiss drop zone bigger and taking the whole bottom of the left plan, so it actually look like a drop-zone and not a button. Move the sort and recruit buttons at the top. Having a drop-down list instead of 3 buttons for sorting would also make the menu less cluttered, but I am nitpicking. I can make a crude ms-paint if I am not clear enough.

Another option that can be used in addition to drag/move: double-clicking a minister to remove him / send him back to the pool. It's fairly standard in inventory systems (which is basically what you are doing, after all).

Also, if you plan on adding some stats to your people (like how good they are at a particular minister), double-clicking a recruit could automatically put him to the best available slot available for him.

edit:

test.png

Edited by SerialKicked

I can make a crude ms-paint if I am not clear enough.

Nope, you are perfectly clear smile.png

Another option that can be used in addition to drag/move: double-clicking a minister to remove him / send him back to the pool. It's fairly standard in inventory systems (which is basically what you are doing, after all).

Not possible in the second screen scenario, since there are "slots" in the pool. So if you try to remove your all ministers then there would/could be no space on the left side. The only way is to "switch" personas/slots (where one could ne an empty slot), at least with the current picture.

Anyway, a new picture:

interface-officials3_zps3decd5e3.png

Like this? (I concluded "Sort" is not really needed here)

Also, I have a dilemma/proble with congress/senate screen:

interface-congress2b_zpsbcb6f5d8.png

Here, you have a given setup of congresmen and you can't move them around. You can interect with them (bribe,imprison,execute) and you can also "appoint speeker" - which is switching one congresman with the central one (the speaker has x3 influence, so you can use it to sort of decide which way the congress go (to a limited degree)), the rest (change law/constitution, dissolve) are standard buttons.

Now, how these buttons/drag&drops/zones work... is a total mess smile.png

Edited by Acharis

I can't speak much about anything, but I, for one, would like if the pool would only be refreshed after a set time.

For example, 3 months after saying you do NOT want a particular member to ever be part of your "team", the list would add a new one instead.

I think that's interesting because it forces you to trash specific individuals, all the while keeping some around you don't necessarily intend on using, but are "ok" and could be helpful if you can't get what you want (essentially like a card-drawing game where you have to weight risk and reward).

For example, I may have a list of 5 folks in that list, of which I hire 2, and trash 2. The last one I keep is not very competent and highly corrupt, but at least, he is very loyal, so if shit hits the fan and my republic is starting to go haywire, I'll need a man I can trust (more than I will need a competent man) just to swap into one of my critical roles (until I sack him later when something better pops up).

What this would call for however is a measure of "stability". I think the player should be penalized for changing seats too often (in whatever way you see fit with your current game mechanics). Also, this requires the list of available people to be very small (and TBH, how many qualified individuals would really come knocking on your door hoping to get a job? Chances are most of them are already in the private sector!).

Hope that helps.

Since the courtisans have 3 stats, is it even necessary to dismiss them from court in hope of getting a better courtisan ?

They could come and go freely, but that would not involve player meaningful decisions/choices.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!