• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Crabify

Crabify: A browser-based puzzle game (similar to Boulder Dash)

This topic is 1677 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'd like to announce Crabify, a browser-based puzzle game similar to Boulder Dash. Screenshots follow. The player controls a crab on its way through levels. In each level it either needs to push letters into the right order to form a solution phrase, or collect a certain number of gems to reach the exit.

[attachment=21537:crabify-screenshot-word-puzzle.jpg]

[attachment=21538:crabify-screenshot-master-cave.jpg]

The game comes with a level editor as shown below.

[attachment=21539:CrabifyEditor.jpg]

A unique feature of Crabify is that users can select their own background images. As the crab walks through the level, it will reveal more and more of the background. This together with the solution phrases means that users can build customized puzzle animations and send them as a simple hyperlink to their friends.

The game has just started beta phase, so I'd greatly appreciate any feedback that you may have. My plan is to package an iPad version once the teething problems have been resolved.

From a technical point of view, the game is entirely written in JavaScript/HTML 5 Canvas. This means that a modern web browser is all that is required to run it. I was quite pleased with how well Canvas works on most systems, yet there were countless little browser differences that made development more time consuming than I initially hoped. On the positive side, I am glad I didn't have to spend too much time creating graphics myself, harvesting most of the images and sounds from free online repositories.

BTW here is the link to the Crabify entry on indiedb.

Have fun!

Edited by Crabify

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!