c++ class vs struct+functions

Started by
13 comments, last by user0 9 years, 11 months ago
So just as a reminder to the OP, but a struct is a class in C++, only difference is default visibility level, struct = public, class = private

Heh, this was my first answer-reflex, too. However, on closer inspection, that's not what the OP is asking. The question is not whether there is a difference in having member functions in a struct or class, but rather whether there is a difference between

struct foo{....};
void func1(foo* f);
void func2000(foo* f, type bar);

and

class foo
{
public:
    void func1();
    void func2000(type bar);
};

Jeff8j: Did I understand that you are basically trying to write a C++ decompiler? Knoweth that this is a daunting endeavour, next to impossible.

Decompiling Java bytecode or such into a human-readable source file is easy (the language is kind of specifically made for that, too). Decompiling C or C++ is harsh. While it is certainly possible to identify things as function prologs and such, there is no way of determining a meaningful variable name of any kind, or a function name (unless these are exported as symbols), no way to reproduce something like template instantiations into something that even vaguely ressembles the original, and no way to restore variables (or sub-expressions) which have been eliminated by compiler optimizations.

In one word, it's pretty much a nightmare...

Advertisement

So just as a reminder to the OP, but a struct is a class in C++, only difference is default visibility level, struct = public, class = private

Heh, this was my first answer-reflex, too. However, on closer inspection, that's not what the OP is asking. The question is not whether there is a difference in having member functions in a struct or class, but rather whether there is a difference between

struct foo{....};
void func1(foo* f);
void func2000(foo* f, type bar);

and

class foo
{
public:
    void func1();
    void func2000(type bar);
};

Jeff8j: Did I understand that you are basically trying to write a C++ decompiler? Knoweth that this is a daunting endeavour, next to impossible.

Decompiling Java bytecode or such into a human-readable source file is easy (the language is kind of specifically made for that, too). Decompiling C or C++ is harsh. While it is certainly possible to identify things as function prologs and such, there is no way of determining a meaningful variable name of any kind, or a function name (unless these are exported as symbols), no way to reproduce something like template instantiations into something that even vaguely ressembles the original, and no way to restore variables (or sub-expressions) which have been eliminated by compiler optimizations.

In one word, it's pretty much a nightmare...

Still the answer to that question is no, effectively this is what a member function does, its first param is the this pointer. So it comes down to how the structure is passed in those functions. If it is by value it is more expensive, because of the copy of the structure, pass by pointer or reference on the first argument to the function it would be the same as a member function.

Worked on titles: CMR:DiRT2, DiRT 3, DiRT: Showdown, GRID 2, theHunter, theHunter: Primal, Mad Max, Watch Dogs: Legion

Im just doing it to learn more if I get a hello world decompiling ill be happy lol I would like to eventually design a cpu so it would seem important to learn as low a level as possible may I could start off easier with something like a pic microcontroller.

I probably will break it up into differnet types/sections/classes I was just starting and was like wait a minute theres a lot of opcodes and system library calls and a world of mess so things are going to be pretty big no matter how I go about them I would think.

@samoth yes thats what I was talking about and it will probably only be things I compile going into it so all variables will be know atleast to start with so that should help

Im still debating the c route as I could make it compile it self with tiny c compiler and then disassemble it self to recompile again lol but on the downside would probably be harder to write.

How much overhead would I encure if I go with c structs with function pointers oviously it would need ints/pointers for each function but would that be al that it needed? Would that get optimized out with full gcc optimization?

lol well I know it probably not the right way of doing this but im making a x86-64 disassembler to c++/other languages and first it has alot of instruction codes then it will need to convert to a byte code then im shooting for c++ and javascript output c++ will be one thing but javascript is a completely different story.

I will do like swiftcoder mentioned and break it into different classes but just wanted to know what would happen with alot of functions in one class even say the disassembler to bytecode class will need a big switch and I was wanting to handle them in different functions so they can be over ridden and easily find able in a ide. I dont expect this to go anywhere just having my hand at learning more deeply about how everyting on the cpu gets done.

This is ridiculous. Don’t even break it into multiple classes, use data tables.
I’m the author of MHS (Memory Hacking Software) which has a disassembler and assembler.
http://memoryhacking.com/

Obviously whenever you have 2,000 methods on a class you are doing something wrong, but in this particular case it’s not a matter of breaking into multiple classes etc.; those methods simply should not exist at all, anywhere.
You need to build a data-driven parser using a table such as (partial code from MHS):

DIS_CMD g_cmdData[] = {
	//dwMask	dwCode		L,Bits	Ar1 Ar2 Ar3		ucType				DifopSize		DifAdd	Name			Desc
	{ 0x0000FF,	0x000090,	1,00,	NNN,NNN,NNN,	CD_CMD+0,			FALSE,			FALSE,	"NOP",			"No operation" },
	{ 0x0000FE,	0x00008A,	1,WW,	REG,MRG,NNN,	CD_CMD+0,			FALSE,			FALSE,	"MOV",			"Move [$1] (#1) to $0" },
	{ 0x0000F8,	0x000050,	1,00,	RCM,NNN,NNN,	CD_PSH+0,			FALSE,			FALSE,	"PUSH",			"Push $0 (%0) onto the stack" },
	{ 0x0000FE,	0x000088,	1,WW,	MRG,REG,NNN,	CD_CMD+0,			FALSE,			FALSE,	"MOV",			"Move $1 (%1) to [%0]" },
	{ 0x0000FF,	0x0000E8,	1,00,	JOW,NNN,NNN,	CD_CAL+0,			FALSE,			FALSE,	"CALL",			"Call near, relative, displacement relative to next instruction" },
	{ 0x0000FD,	0x000068,	1,SS,	IMM,NNN,NNN,	CD_PSH+0,			FALSE,			FALSE,	"PUSH",			"Push %0 onto the stack" },
	{ 0x0000FF,	0x00008D,	1,00,	REG,MMA,NNN,	CD_CMD+0,			FALSE,			FALSE,	"LEA",			"Store effective address for [$1] (%1) in register $0" },
	{ 0x0000FF,	0x000074,	1,CC,	JOB,NNN,NNN,	CD_JMC+0,			FALSE,			FALSE,	"JE,JZ",		"Jump short if equal/zero (ZF=1)" },
	{ 0x0000F8,	0x000058,	1,00,	RCM,NNN,NNN,	CD_POP+0,			FALSE,			FALSE,	"POP",			"Pop top of stack (@([ESP])) into $0; increment stack pointer (ESP becomes @(ESP+4))" },
	{ 0x0038FC,	0x000080,	1,WS,	MRG,IMM,NNN,	CD_CMD+1,			FALSE,			FALSE,	"ADD",			"Add $1 to #0" },
	{ 0x0000FF,	0x000075,	1,CC,	JOB,NNN,NNN,	CD_JMC+0,			FALSE,			FALSE,	"JNZ,JNE",		"Jump short if not zero/not equal (ZF=0)" },
	{ 0x0000FF,	0x0000EB,	1,00,	JOB,NNN,NNN,	CD_JMP+0,			FALSE,			FALSE,	"JMP",			"Jump short, relative, displacement relative to next instruction" },
	{ 0x0000FF,	0x0000E9,	1,00,	JOW,NNN,NNN,	CD_JMP+0,			FALSE,			FALSE,	"JMP",			"Jump near, relative, displacement relative to next instruction" },
	{ 0x0000FE,	0x000084,	1,WW,	MRG,REG,NNN,	CD_CMD+0,			FALSE,			FALSE,	"TEST",			"AND %1 with #0 (@(%1&#0)); set SF, ZF, PF according to result" },
	{ 0x0038FE,	0x0000C6,	1,WW,	MRG,IMM,NNN,	CD_CMD+1,			FALSE,			FALSE,	"MOV",			"Move $1 to [%0]" },
	{ 0x0000FE,	0x000032,	1,WW,	REG,MRG,NNN,	CD_CMD+0,			FALSE,			FALSE,	"XOR",			"$0 XOR #1 (=@($0^#1))" },
	{ 0x0000FE,	0x00003A,	1,WW,	REG,MRG,NNN,	CD_CMD+0,			FALSE,			FALSE,	"CMP",			"Compare [$1] (#1) with $0 (%0)" },
	{ 0x0038FC,	0x003880,	1,WS,	MRG,IMM,NNN,	CD_CMD+1,			FALSE,			FALSE,	"CMP",			"Compare %1 with [$0] (#0)" },
	{ 0x0038FF,	0x0010FF,	1,00,	MRJ,NNN,NNN,	CD_CAL+0,			FALSE,			FALSE,	"CALL",			"Call far, absolute indirect, address #0" },
	{ 0x0000FF,	0x0000C3,	1,00,	PRN,NNN,NNN,	CD_RET+0,			FALSE,			FALSE,	"RETN,RET",		"Return to calling procedure (@([ESP]))" },

You need an entirely different approach, and because of your brute-force method you will spend a very long time on this project, gaining virtually nothing from it as a programmer, and all-in-all stunt your growth. You are literally harming yourself if you continue this project.

I would suggest you make 1 or 2 very simple projects that allow you to familiarize yourself with aggregation lists as shown here and restart from scratch your current project. By the time you wrote the first 50 methods by brute force you could have finished the whole project via better knowledge of programming languages.

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

I will do like swiftcoder mentioned and break it into different classes but just wanted to know what would happen with alot of functions in one class even say the disassembler to bytecode class will need a big switch and I was wanting to handle them in different functions so they can be over ridden and easily find able in a ide. I dont expect this to go anywhere just having my hand at learning more deeply about how everyting on the cpu gets done.

Maybe it's unfair or rude to ask this question, but how are you going to write a disassembler if you do not even know how a member function call works? That seems like a basic, low-level thing that anyone working on such a project wouldn't have to ask.

@L. Spiro Your absolutely right data tables looks like a much better option! Ill have to read up and start messing around that will probably save alot of work and be simpler Thanks

@Pink Horror Im not sure it will get done lol im familiar with how member functions work just not how they get compiled as far as overhead especially for something complicated where it might be harder to optimize down. If I dont try how am I going to learn? For most work I do I do in php that doesnt help make me become a better programmer for the most part lol.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement