• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Chris_G151

Looking for input on a design.

This topic is 1586 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello everyone,

I'm working on a game interface design for a class and need some input from the dev community. This is my first attempt gathering feedback like this so bear with me.

The working title for my game is Lunar Legacy. It mixes space combat, rts/resource management, and third person action. Control will be handled by the 360 controller or similar device.

Here are three specific interface functions that I could use some suggestions and input for.
1. The way I would like the map to work would be similar to other open world games. The difference being that the player has the ability to zoom out into a rts style view at any time. I like the idea of switching but would like to know the best way to approach it.

2. The bulk of the game takes place on the lunar surface. The mission structure should be dynamic enough to change depending on the player's choice of base development. There will be limited resources but nearly unlimited combinations and locations. I have a feeling if I do not implement pre-made structures, the build screen could become confusing. I do like the way Rust handles this but am looking for a simpler execution that can be handled by a controller.

3. The last function deals with the players movement in low gravity. My first thought was to use jet packs with forward and reverse thrust. I eventually decided I like the gravity boot approach. This makes staying on man made structures important during combat but also usefull for traversal around the environment.

Thanks for any ideas or input!

Advertisement

1) Is it just me, or are we getting a LOT of "interface design project" advice submissions lately?
2) You're going to have to be a bit more specific than the map would be "similar to other open world games". I assume you mean, there is a 3D world that the player-controlled character can actively move around in to participate in combat (like any action-adventure game)?
3) If you want a game where you can switch off between action-oriented single-battle combat and a strategic-planning-overview perspective, you'd best have a quick key to flip back and forth. And a clear indication of what happens to your character when you switch out of action-mode. I suppose my vote would be to use one of your bumpers or the D-pad as most other controls will likely be consumed by the array of tasks you will need to perform.
4) By "gravity boot", do you mean the player can leap great distances or allow themselves to get sucked onto platforms side-ways, etc.? If so, defining a clear way of rotating the player mid-fall will be a big boon to your game design. In addition, I'd advise having some sort of predictive laser-circle indicating on the destination where the player would land should they activate their gravity boots. This visual assistance will make the movement work much more fluidly due to the improvement in the player's mental modelling of their own trajectory. Could this even be used as an attack of sort? "Fall" long enough and you can actually inflict some heavy damage? Perhaps you could expand on it, and provide some class or something with the ability to draw walls and furniture in the battlefield towards them, giving them an instant cover / shield. Gravity is a very fun thing to mess around with.
5) I'm unfamiliar with Rust's gameplay really, so I can't help you with the second point. Are you specifically asking about whether you should have "pre-made structures"? Or maybe how those structures should be implemented?

I was a little nervous to post anything school related in a new community. Without knowing any developers personally, this is my only option to talk to one.

Thanks for the input even though I was a little vague on the specifics. By map I meant a GTV style navigation map but has the ability to open to a overhead view yet keep the same look. The gravity boots are more of a lock and release action, not propulsion. I didn't think of rotation along different surfaces. That would add a whole lot to combat.

Thanks again for takin the time to look through this.

I have a feeling if I do not implement pre-made structures, the build screen could become confusing.

I 'm going to assume your structures are build out of multiple components ?

You can just add pre-made structures and "hide" manual component-selection for the player, not unfindable or anything like that, just not the first option a player runs into.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!