Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DX7 DX8 DX9 Im losing it

This topic is 5881 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

(being mini rant) You got to be kidding me, Microsoft is killing me. I love'em but damn this is getting outta hand. (end mini rant) Well I have a dilema, I have been using Direct X since ver 6 and then I graduated to DX 7, needless to say I like DX7 alot and I have learned it very well, all but D3D. I am at the stage now that I want to get into the 3D programming side of things so I was getting prepared to make the switch to DX8 and then this ------------- DX9. Needless to say I am pissed as hell but I wont waste your time wigging out in my post, I just have a question for the seasoned and semi seasoned d3d programmers of Direct X. Since I have not exposed my brain to D3D at this point would you feel that it would be best to continue my programming in DX7 and skip D3D in DX8 all together and just wait for DX9? From what I have read it is a total "REVAMP" again due to the incompatiablity issues with DX8 and the Vid Card manufactures coming up to speed late... Signed, "Up a creek without a stable API" Morph If my compiler was voice activated with the voice of my mother-in-law....there would be no errors! Edited by - a_insomniac on November 3, 2001 9:47:17 AM

well D3D7->D3D8 was quite a big change, but from what I''ve seen so far D3D8->D3D9 isn''t going to be such a huge change, more of a revision.

In general, you can learn the basic 3D theory - primatives, coordinate systems, lighting, rendering (z buffers, textures etc...) and it''ll pretty much be the same on ALL 3D API''s...

Your choice really, if you''re not familiar with any D3D''s then dont bother learning D3D7 - as it''ll just be harder later on to jump upto DX10/11/12/13

hth
Jack;

well, in dx8 there IS no d3d.. so if you move do dx8 you''ll be comfortable with the move to 9.
the biggest change is going from dx7 where everything was seperate, to dx8 where they had Direct Graphics instead...
so i''d say, go to dx8.. then when dx9 comes out learn the few
function changes or whatever they put in, and you''ll be good to go.

-eldee
;another space monkey;