• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Prune

WM_TOUCH vs WM_POINTER

This topic is 1588 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Which one should I use? I'm only using Windows 8.x, so I don't care about the fact that WM_POINTER is not backwards compatible with Windows 7 etc. I also don't care about gestures; only about raw touches. WM_POINTER's only clear advantage seems to be that it unifies touch and mouse input (but that's easy to work around with WM_TOUCH because mouse events can be checked with GetMessageExtraInfo()). Ease of use is also not an issue; I've been using WM_TOUCH already and I'm just wondering if I should switch to WM_POINTER. My overriding concern is latency and efficiency. I can't tell whether WM_POINTER is a wrapper over WM_TOUCH that has extra overhead. Any comments?

Edited by Prune

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!