• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bratiefanut

Team size for a 3D RPG?

8 posts in this topic

Yesterday I've got the ideea to make a game about the ancestors of my country. I think RPG would be the best choice for an historical game but I am not sure. What is the best team size/composition for a medium size 3D RPG ? I have to say that I am a programmer, don't have any money, and have just few small games made. 

Edited by Vidar son of Odin

Look at the credits for a comparable game.

Ideally, find a comparable game by an indie studio, otherwise, these may look oversized (large corporations have execs and other teams that like to put their names on the credits without necessarily contributing much work. as a result, if developed by an in-house studio of a publisher, you'll see 300+ names oftentimes).

What is the best team size/composition for a medium size 3D RPG ?

What is medium-size to you? This is a highly subjective concept. Furthermore, given that you are a programmer, you may be led to believe it to be medium sized in terms of features, but it may not be so in terms of art and content (level design).

Provide me with a game reference and I'll give numbers to the best of my ability.

(Also bear in mind timeline is closely tied to staffing, so the answer can range in numbers depending on your expected timeline).

I have in mind a game like Ravensword. I also got an 3D artist and 2 programmers and more people want to join the team. I have another question.. Let's say that me and other programmers won't work at the same place so we must work remotely. We will be using unity3d. How can we do it?

Now you're asking about online collaboration tools. That's been asked before. Someone will reply to this (people looking to answer your "team size" question), but you should also skim other threads whose subject line is about online collaboration tools.

Let's say that me and other programmers won't work at the same place so we must work remotely. We will be using unity3d. How can we do it?

This is not a business question. You will get better replies if you ask this question in the programming sections. We're probably dealing with source control here.

and more people want to join the team.

That's good. Do you need these people though? You need to balance your will to let them in and the need to have them working. Otherwise, you'll end up overstaffed.

I also got an 3D artist and 2 programmers

What is the 3d artist proficient with? modeling? rigging? animating? texturing? 

If he is a superstar in all of the above, then you could probably go ahead with just him for all characters and environments (props, etc.)

Basically, you need as many staff as proficiency you need to fill, then you need to balance across all teams to insure steady flow. If you come to a point where 2 programmers are waiting on art production to move forward, hire another artist and break down the ownership of the first (maybe he just does characters from now on, and the new guy takes charge of the landscapes/environmental props).

Otherwise, you need as few people as you possibly can. The reasoning here is that there is a gain with having to deal with fewer people. If your timeline allows for this, you should do so accordingly. Most of the time, teams scale up to hit a date (which in turn prevents the game from feeling out-dated at the time of release).

Good luck.

Let's say that me and other programmers won't work at the same place so we must work remotely. We will be using unity3d. How can we do it?

This is not a business question.

Right. But this isn't the business forum. Online collaboration tools are very often a management issue, and this topic has been discussed here before. Very much like everything else you said, orymus (upvoted the post).

Right. But this isn't the business forum.

OOOops. My bad.
I'll let someone more qualified answer this one then (not particularly versed in Unity source control, but I'm assuming it's fairly straightforwards through Git or SVN?)

Vidar, you should check out these threads on this board:
"how to manage a dev team online"
"A good platform for development team"
"Project Management Tools"