Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nacho

2D and 3D pipeline?

I´ve read both these terms in several articles. Can somebody explain me what the 2D and 3D pipelines are?

It''s a term for the "path" graphics take in your system going from numbers stored in memory through the rasterization process and end up as excited phosphors on your screen.

Think of it as a bunch of bits in memory going to work. Along the way they have to grab a taxi to get to a train station. Then the train takes them to a bus stop and the bus takes drops them off at the surface of your monitor. At each stop, a bunch of bits get off and walk away. The taxi and train and bus are different things that are done to them along the way, like transformation and culling. The bits that "got off" along the way experienced clipping.

Thanks! I suppose it was what I had thought about! Do you know where can I find an even more technical explanation?

Check any reference book, like one of the OpenGL red/blue books or any number of third party OGL books, or any book on Direct3D--or just plain graphics in general. They''re all based on the same idea.

quote:
Do you know where can I find an even more technical explanation?

wait, wait... you mean there''s not REALLY a bus stop in my computer?!?!

--- krez (krezisback@aol.com)

there''s also a very good, and (I think) fairly general description of the 3D pipeline in the DirectX SDK; you can probably find it by doing a search on msdn.microsoft.com for "3D pipeline".

I think I´m gonna check the DirectX SDK. What´s the difference between an API graphics book and a plain graphics one?