What do you do when you need an idea?

Started by
11 comments, last by BHXSpecter 9 years, 10 months ago

Sometimes, when I needed to design something new, couldn't have an idea.

In this situation, whan can I do?..

Its my big problem..

Is there any thing to help it?

Advertisement
It's very hard to look at the world, the universe, life, history, science, and EVERYTHING, and say to yourself, "I need an idea."
Much less hard is to simply solve a problem. Like "how can I give a tablet player a way to drive this tank and aim it while it's in motion." Having some kind of focus is crucial - among all the world of things and games and everything, if you at least can narrow it down to a confined area, you can focus your thinking.
Presumably, you're talking about ideas for games. If you don't have an idea for a game, why do you need one? That need is a problem you can focus on.
That said, I was tremendously inspired when I read Roger Von Oech's gooks on creativity. You should see if you can find any of his stuff available at Amazon or something.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Steal someone elses. =)

To be a bit less facetious, use old games as inspiration. A lot of really good games slip through the cracks of time, begging to be remade. Or maybe there was a game with a great story, but crappy gameplay, or crappy gameplay but great story. Or a game that would that would've have been awesome if only something something got changed. Sometimes, just taking an old 2d game, and putting it 3d makes it completely different. (Original mario, and the first 3d mario are very different feeling) Or taking a game and making it touch centered. This is essentially how 'runner' games came about, I think, as they basically take the concept of 2d sidescrollers, but try to make them fun with touch controls.

I will equate this to having song ideas as I am a musician: A lot of times I would simply sit down and play, and eventually something would come out. I enjoyed myself, and didn't think about "getting an idea" I just kind of let things flow. There was a time I would get song ideas in my head and not be able to record them. To remedy that, I downloaded a voice recorder app on my smart phone - which is now filled with tons of song and melody bits. When I sit down and try to force an idea, it never comes, and that is a large part of what writer's block is. Most of my own ideas for music, video games, stories, movies, etc - always come when I am not really thinking about it at all. I drive for a living, so sometimes they come then, or when I am outside taking a break from gaming. It's completely random, but the process I am trying to convey to you: is just let the ideas come themselves.

There are many things you can do to get new ideas. A really good method I sometimes use: brainstorming one idea with a good friend, and riff off each other with new ideas. You could also try some writing exercises. I have another friend that dumps out a huge bucket of Legos (he's like 30) and just puts things together to think - but that's his process, and everyone has one.

Ferrous makes a really good point as a lot of my own ideas have come from thinking about and/or playing older video games. A lot of times I see them and wonder how they could be better, or just think of something completely new.

Whatever method you choose, I wish you the best of luck; and always remember: write EVERYTHING down!

If you "need" an idea there are technics for that, like brainstorming as Deadmatic suggested, but it's not really helpfull if you just "want an idea" because you basically can do anything. To come up with an idea you need some restrictions, and the ideas will come as a result of doing something between those restrictions. If you "want to make a game" you don't have a starting point, but if you "want to make a game that mixes puzzles and racing" there's a lot to think about to form an idea.

When I need an idea, I know I've been staring at a screen for too long.
Generally, that idea comes to me the very next time I take a walk (do my laps, etc.)
It is precisely because I am in a moment where I don't have much to think about and I don't expect myself to think of anything (that won't happen during, say, watching a movie for example) that I end up thinking about something.
Yet, I won't think about something if I go doing laps right after realizing I need an idea.

My basic routine would be something like:
- Work
- Realize I need an idea to keep going
- Go do something else (watch TV, play a game with my kids or friends, etc.)
- Go do my laps and/or take a shower
- Get an idea
- Return to work
- Flesh out my idea
- End up with 100 different ideas
- Filter them
- Maybe find 1 to 3 ideas worth pursuing (along with a few polish items)

I can look at my previous tryouts for enough ideas.

Just make small things for testing if it works first, your idea should work technically at least, so go with what you have!

S T O P C R I M E !

Visual Pro 2005 C++ DX9 Cubase VST 3.70 Working on : LevelContainer class & LevelEditor

Note: I used to check others' work when looking for ideas, but I realized I wasn't being very creative when doing that. It works, mind you, but it won't create a very original mix per se.

i believe first step in designing a game is to find what was your best experience in gaming and which game was most fun to you and then if you

hadnt any great idea just to start make that better or more fun because if you like that ganre most it makes your mind think most and you can find

very good ideas there for example i like fps games most but everyone said you cant do anything there its better to work on something like 2d

moblie side scrolling or top down but i had no idea there and i knew that that game was not going to be interesting at all but in fps with little

environment and less animations and simple graphics i can do a lot on ai and player behavior that i know no one did before on udk. for addition i

say try not to change you ganre if you want to be more professional because when you did something in a project you can do it fast in next

project and concentrate on new things but in diffrent ganres you have to do basic things again. and i have to say you have a new game project

when you have a new idea. dont just try to make a game. when you found an idea write it as a basic gdd and through the project if you had more

ideas try to add it for better experience to player.

Walk a round outside.. The nature is the best way for inspiration smile.png

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement