What do you do when you need an idea?

Started by
11 comments, last by BHXSpecter 9 years, 10 months ago

Public transport! Hop on a bus for an hour or two. Change of scenery plus being trapped in a bus without many distractions is great for thinking.

Advertisement

I like to people watch -- riding public transit is like accelerated people watching -- while looking out for people that seem to be enjoying themselves with unstructured play, whether that's walking in a special way, toying with an object, or what-have-you. Humans like to make up meaningless goals just for the fun of achieving something hard; games are play where a part of play (inventing goals) is outsourced to an expert :)

Even if the play activity itself can't reasonably be gamified, I like to ask myself "Why is that fun? What's rewarding about it? Is it a kind of fun we see in a lot of existing games, or a kind of fun we rarely see in games?"

I carry a small pad or some paper and a pen on me at all times so that any idea I get I can write down. Then when I get home I do two things, rewrite it and flesh it out in a notebook and then type it up in an ideas file. I started doing this back in 1996 or so, so I have a lot of backup ideas (just a matter of finding time to make any of them). I tried to start an RPG back in June 2002, but as of yet it is just all in my head and on paper.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement