How to get started learning Unity?

Started by
12 comments, last by EEletri 9 years, 5 months ago

What is the best way(s) to get started learning Unity? I find it very overwhelming to learn this software. Specifically, I want to learn to use Unity to make 2D physics based games if that helps. Thank you.

Advertisement

You could start with the official Unity 2D tutorial

Or if you have a budget, you could try Gamemaker Studio. It does 2d games generally better and easier than Unity, including physics based games. It has a price tag though, and you wouldn't be able to go 3d with the same software like with Unity. And Unity is free for the most part too. But it isn't as good for 2d, and it is generally harder to learn and use, so if it overwhelming you it could be better to go with something easier.

Unity is a great tool. It is powerful. I love it. I even helped write a book about it.

But sometimes it isn't the right tool.

Are you trying to design a game? To make a game? Are you trying to be a programmer? Are you trying to learn how the game engine works?

Unity is great for designers to just pick up and start working with. Unity is great for certain types of games right out of the box. You can play with the physics systems in minutes (or hours, depending how fast you are at reading). You can make simple game prototypes in days. You can make feature-complete games in work-months as part of a good team.

But for programmers working alone who want to learn to program, Unity almost does too much for you. You will not be spending your days writing 2D manipulation code and 2D graphics. You will be building game behavior systems instead. In addition to the programming, Unity also requires work from other disciplines; you will need art assets, sprite sheets, UI elements, you will need game system design, and level design, and UI design. As a programmer will only modify small bits of functionality and rely on the engine for the heavy lifting, which is what makes Unity so awesome for many uses. If you are trying to learn how to be a 2D programmer from scratch, don't use Unity because that isn't how it works. If you are trying to build 2D game designs and concepts you are probably behaving more of a designer than a programmer, so go ahead and use it in that case.

The 2D docs and tutorials on the Unity site are pretty good, but not stellar. The 2D additions are only a few months old and the tutorials are rough. People have used it to create several 2D games, but the technology is far from mature. Basically it is a 2D view of a 3D world, and it requires a bit of a learning curve. If you don't like that method of 2D, other engines may be a better fit.

I started way back with the Lynda tutorials, they have one for the new Unity 4.3. For me there is nothing easier than to actually see someone show you how to do things.

http://www.lynda.com/3D-Animation-Games-tutorials/Unity-43-Essential-Training/150613-2.html

"Smoke me a kipper i'll be back for breakfast." -- iOS: Science Fiction Quiz

My first project in it was a 2d game, and this tutorial helped me quite a bit to get started: http://pixelnest.io/tutorials/2d-game-unity/. Mainly in showing me how things are connected in unity in a general sense, after that its just a matter of setting a small first game as a goal for your self and asking questions on the way.

If you have ever coded before, once you know how unity operates, it is very easy to pick up the rest.

Best free tutorials on the web - https://www.youtube.com/user/ETeeskiTutorials

You will not be spending your days writing 2D manipulation code and 2D graphics. You will be building game behavior systems instead
It is okay to spend time on the game instead of the back end code...

I think everyone can learn via tutorial on Unity Learn

https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/modules/beginner/2d

You can see video and source code download from assetserver. It's free.

I also just learned unity two month and did a android game on google play.

Inspired by "Charlie Circus" relased by Nintendo.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.nestudio.flappylion

My experience is that you learn and try to do a simple product.

You will not be spending your days writing 2D manipulation code and 2D graphics. You will be building game behavior systems instead
It is okay to spend time on the game instead of the back end code...

Ofcourse it is, in any real world project you don't want to reinvent the wheel unless you have to. (Having your programmers spend time writing animation systems, physics engines, resources "managers", level editors, etc isn't a good use of their time if there are pre-built solutions that meet your needs)

For learning purposes however you often want to reinvent the wheel (it is a good way to get a better understanding of how the wheel works) and then its better to build things from scratch instead and only use third party libraries for the portions you're not interested in at the moment.

[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement