• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ShiftyCake

Good game design software?

This topic is 1471 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Silly question I know, however I'm looking for game design software, not game making software. That is, I want something that I can design a game in, then move into another program such as unity to create it. Because of the really iffy definition of game design, which has always been a problem and never officially corrected, I can't really find anything i'm looking for through google.

I'd appreciate any and all links, thanks.

Advertisement

I do everything on paper, then scan and move the stuff (if it's art), to illustrator or photoshop to work on. If it's writing, then paper first and then on a computer. Basically, if the paper model works, then I would go ahead with the game.

If you don't have photoshop, go with gimp or maybe deviant art's muro or something. Illustrator, I think the free version is called inkscape? If you are using Unity, then the ability to put in the psd's is pretty great.

Or are you working on something for 3d? Maya, poser, bryce, depends on what you are most familiar with and stuff.

I have been dreaming for a while of makig a program that handles game design from idea to production. One tool. If I get this programming stuff down well enough, then perhaps one day I can make that program. As of now, I have not found anything that can do it.

I have however, found an open-source game engine that I can use as a base to start. But I can only begin to edit the engine when I learn C++.

I have a bunch of 3d programs I can think of that you can use to design a game, but not just one.

Have any idea (mockup) of how you would want such a program as you desire to look?

I do everything on paper first, then move to the office suite, open office suite or google docs. Very rarely do I need more, in which case I use my bamboo tablet in anything (even if Paint).
I also use Gliffy or anything similar for UI-specific designs.

thanks guys! you were all helpful, I'll check out articydraft and machinations and have a look at how they work. The book also looks interesting andy, I'll bookmark it and wait for a sale.

I've always used word etc. to transfer game ideas but I wanted to see if there some programs that could achieve the same affect with a better interface/ui.

Hi,

"Design" is design!  Development is development!  The two really should not mean the same thing.

The way it typically goes is:

1) Concept Stage

2) Design Stage

3) Development Stage

4) Testing and Deployment Stages:  Alpha and then Beta

5) Publication / Distribution

In the Design Stage, often game developers start with rough pen or pencil sketches of the gameplay and label the game functionality if needed.  Another design technique is the use of flowcharts for game functionality and game coding structure.

The design art can be used later for advertising the game once it is done, if the design art is suitable. Design art can sometimes be illustrated scene by scene to represent the gameplay. Once a game development company gains success, the need for game design art for conveying the game concept to investors, game development leadership, and eventual marketing campaigns ( such as by a publisher like Ubisoft ) will become obvious.

You need to grasp the industry standard jargon and realize that genre of video games and even individual company culture shapes the needs of design.

There are many software for design and which ones to use depend on your skillset, the needs of the game development, and your personal  preference.  All of this will take time and effort for you to realize for yourself.

I use paper and pencil or pen, GIMP, Inkscape, and LibreOffice for my game designing at the present time. Hopefully things are clearer for you now. smile.png

I'm a big fan of mind mapping tools for (initial) game design, it has a natural structured, top-down approach, thought it might not be very useful if you like to produce lot of text. Here's a free mind mapping tool: free plane

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!