Transforming a single object in the world

Started by
3 comments, last by CruxMihiAncora 22 years, 5 months ago
I was wondering how I would go about translating a single object in the world without effecting the rest of the world. For instance, let''s say I have two triangles (not connected) that I draw to the screen usign DrawPrimitive. How would I make Triangle1 move -5 x units but leave Triangle2 alone? I am using DirectX 8, MSVC++ and Win2k. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Advertisement
Easy:

SetWordMatrixForFirstTriangle();

DrawFirstTriangle();

SetWorldMatrixForSecondTriangle();

DrawSecondTriangle();

ECKILLER
ECKILLER
Okay, I think I am beginning to understand. When you do a SetTransform to D3DTS_WORLD than that won''t affect anything currently in the world, it will just affect the next draw you do into the world. Does that sound right? Geez, maybe I am actually starting to understand this stuff.

So, I could have a triangle object that contains its own World Matrix and as I move it in the world I just change the object''s World Matrix and then SetTransform and Draw. Right?

Thanks a lot!!!
It funny but I have the exact same question. Can someone please give a short code example. A little more specific than what ECKILLER said. Its hard trying to learn from the SDK and NeXe alone...can''t wait till I get my books!

"Ogun''s Laughter Is No Joke!!!" - Ogun Kills On The Right, A Nigerian Poem.
"Ogun's Laughter Is No Joke!!!" - Ogun Kills On The Right, A Nigerian Poem.
Ok, here is come code quickly cobbled together as an example
Here we are rendering an island centered at 0,0,0 (basically untranslated) and the surrounding water, which we translate along y by sine (time) to model water lapping the shores.
        //Render IslandD3DXMatrixTranslation(&islandMatrix, 0, 0 , 0);m_pd3dDevice->SetTransform(D3DTS_WORLD, &islandMatrix );m_pd3dDevice->SetStreamSource( 0, islandVB, sizeof(CUSTOMVERTEX) );m_pd3dDevice->SetVertexShader( D3DFVF_CUSTOMVERTEX );m_pd3dDevice->SetIndices( islandIB, 0 );m_pd3dDevice->DrawIndexedPrimitive( D3DPT_TRIANGLELIST, 0, islandVertices, 0, islandIndices / 3 );//Render Water Animating in Y direction of sine (time) to crudely simulate wavesD3DXMatrixTranslation(&waterMatrix, 0, sin (time) , 0);m_pd3dDevice->SetTransform(D3DTS_WORLD, &waterMatrix );m_pd3dDevice->SetStreamSource( 0, waterVB, sizeof(CUSTOMVERTEX) );m_pd3dDevice->SetVertexShader( D3DFVF_CUSTOMVERTEX );m_pd3dDevice->SetIndices( waterIB, 0 );m_pd3dDevice->DrawIndexedPrimitive( D3DPT_TRIANGLELIST, 0, waterVertices, 0, waterIndices / 3 );   

Note this code is meant to be instructional, not effiecient or elegant. Usually I put the world matrix as a member of a Mesh class, and have the mesh update and set its own world matrix before it renders itself. This gives you much nicer to look at and manage code (especially when the number of objects starts to get large).
        //On Initializeisland->loadHieghtMap ("island.map");island->MoveTo (0, 0, 0);...//On updatewater->MoveTo (0, sin(time), 0);....//On renderisland->render();  //Will set world matrix to its own matrix water->render();   //Will set world matrix to its own matrix  

Edited by - invective on November 4, 2001 10:28:50 AM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement