• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
swiftcoder

IOTD comments/discussion?

4 posts in this topic

For a while we suffered from a lack of GDNet-submitted images, and had to switch to sourcing the IOTD (Image Of The Day) from the #screenshotsaturday twitter images. I'd say this has to all appearances been very successful, but somewhere along the way we seem to have lost in this transition is the ability to comment on the IOTDs. And I'm sad about this, because my experience was that some of the liveliest discussion threads on the old GDNet were around the IOTD galleries.

Now, I'd love to reboot that lively discussion, but having the images sourced from twitter presents some complications - primarily, the fact that the creator of any given IOTD image may or may not have an account here on GDNet. I'm worried that the image's creator may not know that the image is being commented on and discussed on our forums, and may not be able to respond and/or defend himself if the discussion turns unpleasant.

This doesn't have to be an insurmountable problem:

• We have fairly aggressive moderation of abusive comments across the site (would you agree?).
  • We have twitter login integration, so any twitter user should be able to login here (does it work? I've never tried).
  • We could potentially tweet back a reply with a link to the discussion here (might be construed as spam?).

So I guess my question is: what do you all think about this?

To be honest, I rarely check the IOTD anymore. If I'm looking for screenshots I just head over to screenshotsaturday. I remember the time where all IOTD images were from GDNet members, they had people commenting and showing interest. I also remember that giving some background info or a description was important in getting others involved, which is why I think adding the ability to comment isn't going to add much to the liveliness.

I guess Developer Journals come closest to the old IOTD, but I haven't gotten into the habbit of checking those out, nor am I very interested in doing so. Not sure if that is because I've changed, the concept is slighly different or that the way they're presented is different.

If a member who has their screenshots on the site logs in through twitter it will automatically re-assign those images to that user account.   We are looking to make some additions to this that should be pretty good..  in particular this area:

http://www.gamedev.net/page/indie/index.html

Let's say you post a project:

http://www.gamedev.net/page/indie/project.html/_/strategy/the-mims-beginning-r20

All your screenshots will also be posted to the Screenshot Showdown simultaneously and linked back to the original project.   See this example, which includes a special project box that details the specific project that screenshot is related to.   If the image is picked up by Twitter only you won't see that.

http://www.gamedev.net/page/showdown/view.html/_/the-mims-beginning-r21009

I keep forgetting the "Projects" / "Indie Corner" area even exists. Apart from knowing the URL in the first place, how are you really supposed to navigate to it? Its discoverability seems really low.

At the very least, shouldn't it be in the "Community" tab on the header menu? Instead, all I see is a gallery (that I also didn't know existed), that apparently is hit by spam bots. 

vwivm 90 day loans 2694 online payday advance >:-OOO payday installment loans online sAoWq no credit check loans 9673

I keep forgetting the "Projects" / "Indie Corner" area even exists. Apart from knowing the URL in the first place, how are you really supposed to navigate to it?

It's not finished yet, so we haven't added it to the site navigation yet. smile.png