• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Marron

Unity Voxel game colliders.

This topic is 1484 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello ! Can someone please explain how can colliders be implemented in a voxel game ? Or at least link to explanation, because I wasn't able to find it anywhere. I want to state that I am using OpenGL 3.3, so I can't just turn on 'mesh colliders' like in Unity. :)

Anticipated thanks.

Advertisement
You seem to be confusing graphics with physics.

The two are not directly interchangable.

Some game engines will use graphics meshes to build physics objects. Other games allow for many different types of physics objects; some use modeler-generated physics objects, some use 'footprints' that are laid down over a 2D navigation grid even though the world is a 3D mesh, some use rough bounding boxes rather than detailed meshes, some use combinations of these and more variations too.

It's going to be one hell of a work.

If you think voxel world, I think you're trying to do minecraft. An easy way to deal with collisions is the use of an external library. Bullet goes great with OpenGL since it uses the same coordinate system. Unfortunately, it's likely to run amok as you walk away from the center. Minecraft has an ad-hoc physics and still runs amok - after a few hours of walking from the origin I have been told.

Nonetheless, I strongly suggest to look at a physics library.

Due to the massive amounts of cubes in voxel worlds, you'll probably have to implement some very gross-grained block merge. While I've found cuboids to be fairly fast at both operation and add/remove operations, once you start having ten thousands objects, you'll be taxing the system a bit more than I'd like to and if your chunks are - say 30x30x30 you'll be blasting that big way!

It's going to be one hell of a work.

If you think voxel world, I think you're trying to do minecraft. An easy way to deal with collisions is the use of an external library. Bullet goes great with OpenGL since it uses the same coordinate system. Unfortunately, it's likely to run amok as you walk away from the center. Minecraft has an ad-hoc physics and still runs amok - after a few hours of walking from the origin I have been told.

Nonetheless, I strongly suggest to look at a physics library.

Due to the massive amounts of cubes in voxel worlds, you'll probably have to implement some very gross-grained block merge. While I've found cuboids to be fairly fast at both operation and add/remove operations, once you start having ten thousands objects, you'll be taxing the system a bit more than I'd like to and if your chunks are - say 30x30x30 you'll be blasting that big way!

Minecraft like world is rather poor fit with general physic engines if you can't explicitly tell to physic engine that whole world is built from static, uniform sized and spaced cubes. Basically it has acceleration structure built in and you need just 1 bit to store voxel and then you can do all physics in local space to battle against floating point errors.

But if you want complex physics then doing robust collions resolves with dynamic vs dynamic objects is going to be just as hard as always.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Similar Content

• By D34DPOOL
      Edit Your Profile D34DPOOL 0 Threads 0 Updates 0 Messages Network Mod DB GameFront Sign Out Add jobEdit jobDeleteC# Programmer for a Unity FPS at Anywhere   Programmers located Anywhere.
      Posted by D34DPOOL on May 20th, 2018
      Hello, my name is Mason, and I've been working on a Quake style arena shooter about destroying boxes on and off for about a year now. I have a proof of concept with all of the basic features, but as an artist with little programming skill I've reached the end of my abilities as a programmer haha. I need someone to help fix bugs, optomize code, and to implent new features into the game. As a programmer you will have creative freedom to suggest new features and modes to add into the game if you choose to, I'm usually very open to suggestions :).
      What is required:
      Skill using C#
      Experience with Unity
      Experience using UNET (since it is a multiplayer game), or the effort and ability to learn it
      Compensation:
      Since the game currently has no funding, we can split whatever revenue the game makes in the future. However if you would perfer I can create 2D and/or 3D assets for whatever you need in return for your time and work.
      It's a very open and chill enviornment, where you'll have relative creative freedom. I hope you are interested in joining the team, and have a good day!

To apply email me at mangemason@yahoo.com
    • By davejones
      Is there a way to automatically change the start position of an animation? I have a bunch of animations set up on 3D models in unity. The issue is that I need to move the 3D models, however when I do so the animation start positions are not updated and I have to do it manually.

Changing the transform of key frames is time consuming with the amount of animations I have, so I was wondering if there was a way to do it automatically?
    • By MoreLion
      hey all! We are looking for members for our Unity horror game! 
      Here’s the story:
      After a deadly virus plunges the world into chaos killing 85% of the human population there are now what they call “zones” these zones are watched very closely by the surviving government, people are checked every day for the virus, even if you touch the spit or any human waste or fluids of the victim who is infected, you will die. But one day, people in the west zone start to go missing, 1 woman goes outside the walls to uncover the mystery, is there more to the virus than meets the eye?, That is where your story starts.
      This game is not a long development game, I have loads other game ideas,
      I will also allow you to have a bit of creative freedom if you wish to add or share a idea!
      And no, it’s not a zombie game lol I feel like zombie games are too generic, in this game you will encounter terrifying beasts!
      There is some concept art one of our concept artists have made
      If interested email liondude12@gmail.com
    • By Canadian Map Makers
      GOVERNOR is a modernized version of the highly popular series of “Caesar” games. Our small team has already developed maps, written specifications, acquired music and performed the historical research needed to create a good base for the programming part of the project.

Our ultimate goal is to create a world class multi-level strategic city building game, but to start with we would like to create some of the simpler modules to demonstrate proof of concept and graphical elegance.

We would like programmers and graphical artists to come onboard to (initially) create:

A module where Province wide infrastructure can be built on an interactive 3D map of one of the ancient Roman Provinces.
      A module where city infrastructure can be built on a real 3D interactive landscape.
      For both parts, geographically and historically accurate base maps will be prepared by our team cartographer. Graphics development will be using Blender. The game engine will be Unity.

More information, and examples of the work carried out so far can be found at http://playgovernor.com/ (most of the interesting content is under the Encyclopedia tab).

This project represents a good opportunity for upcoming programmers and 3D modeling artists to develop something for their portfolios in a relatively short time span, working closely with one of Canada’s leading cartographers. There is also the possibility of being involved in this project to the point of a finished game and commercial success! Above all, this is a fun project to work on.

Best regards,

Steve Chapman (Canadian Map Makers)

• By Scouting Ninja
      So I have hundreds of moving objects that need to check there speed. One of the reasons they need to check there speed is so they don't accelerate into oblivion, as more and more force is added to each object.
      At first I was just using the Unity vector3.magnitude. However this is actually very slow; when used hundreds of times.
      Next I tried the dot-product check:  vector3.dot(this.transform.foward, ShipBody.velocity) The performance boost was fantastic. However this only measures speed in the forward direction. Resulting in bouncing objects accelerating way past the allowed limit.

I am hoping someone else knows a good way for me to check the speed with accuracy, that is fast on the CPU. Or just any magnitude calculations that I can test when I get home later.

What if I used  vector3.dot(ShipBody.velocity.normalized, ShipBody.velocity)?
      How slow is it to normalize a vector, compared to asking it's magnitude?
    • By Ds ds
      Hi, my name is Andres, I'm a programmer with a technician degree and a Diploma in C#, looking for a project in Unity to start my career in game development. I don't do it for a paid but a recognition and start a portfolio, preferably a 2D game. Thanks for read, have a nice day. 

• By Victor Rodriguez
      Hi there! Is the first time that I'm posting here so I'm sorry if I'm doing it wrong ha. 
      So here it comes, my doubt is, I'm doing a game with different levels, each of these levels in one different scene. Each scene contains to cameras that you can change pressing a button. Everything works fine. 
      The only problem is that I would like it to look a bit more professional, and I would like that if you finish the level with camera2, the next level start the same way. I've been thinking about using dontdestroyonloadon both cameras, but obviously this cameras need to be attached to the player to make the movement work, what do you recommend? Sorry If I've explained it in a messy way, and feel free to dm me for anything. Thanks in advance! 
    • By Ike aka Dk
      Hello everyone 
      I am a programmer from Baku.
      I need a 3D Modeller for my shooter project in unity.I have 2 years Unity exp.
      Project will paid when we finish the work 
      If you interested write me on email:
      mr.danilo911@gmail.com
    • By markoal
      Hi,
      I'm Unity developer from Croatia and I'm looking to work on the paid project in my spare time.
      I have 5+ years of experience in Unity and I'm familiar with almost anything, including all platforms (also Switch, PS4 and Xbox).
      Feel free to contact me.
    • By bartekm777
      Hello
      About me
      Lvl 28   Programmer (day job: non-gamedev-programmer, making games as a hobby for about 2 years) Some vector art experience - tried to make some assets on my own using vector software and scripts   Some design experience (designing my own games ) About game
      Turn-based fantasy rpg inspired by games like Heroes 3 (also WoG mod), NEO Scavenger, Battle Brothers I would like to create easy to use editor for creating custom scenarios (similar to the one from Heroes 3) World and story are clean slate, I did some drafts but I'm not good at it so it's possibly subject to change I decided to create graphics using vector software + scripts to make it faster (rpg's tend to have lots of assets), also it's more precise and easier to create tileable graphics (for example: rivers, paths) No sound/music work has been done yet Who do I look for?
      Definitely someone with 2d art skills  I would like to focus more on programming 2D animator (skletal animations are preferred) Additional programmer could make development faster Someone for creating sounds/music/both It's a hobby project, I work on it in my free time. In case the project make it to the finish line and get shipped  - I can offer rev-share  
      Below should be few screens of what I already did (about 2 months of work) - some graphics, editor prototype screenshot and game prototype screenshot

• Advertisement
  • Popular Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!