Self-improvement group

Started by
10 comments, last by Chaoddity 9 years, 10 months ago

===---

IF, AFTER THIS POST, YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHY I WOULD WANT TO DO WHAT I AM DOING...

You probably can't relate because none of your needs or wants will be met by my proposal.

You are, obviously, NOT the target audience of this post.

In such a case, please just ignore this post.

Thank you for taking the time to read this regardless.

===--

Hello : )

Im not sure what the social climate is like here so I am going to make my intentions very clear.

If it doesn't already exist I am looking for a group to just chat and work with. Colleagues.

Optimally I think it would be mumble or IRC.
The details and name of the group... can be decided by the group.

IF THIS DOES EXIST point me right to it. lol

PURPOSE of the group-
-prevent loss of motivation by seeing progress others are making
-feedback from group
-assistance from group
-encouragement from group
-meet social needs without need to stop working. make work more fun.
-less need to hang out with people who would hinder our work/progress

REASON for the group-

I realize that my productivity could be better if I weren't wasting time talking to people who have no intention of doing anything meaningful in their day.

I would be surprised if others didn't have the same problem. So this is my proposed solution.

Ideally the social atmosphere would be laid back and accepting, but also openminded.

I would prefer only hardworking motivated individuals join- so that we can sort of motivate eachother.

Advertisement

(PM me. that's what those interested seem to prefer)

I realize that my productivity could be better if I weren't wasting time talking to people who have no intention of doing anything meaningful in their day.

So your solution is to create an IRC chat? Do you also use petrol to put out fires? :D

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

So your solution is to create an IRC chat? Do you also use petrol to put out fires? biggrin.png

lol

I like your sense of humor.

BUT ANYWAY!

Either you

1. Cannot relate (then this group isn't for you)
  2. Don't quite get what I'm saying (In which case I apologize and will try to clarify)

I have many friends but almost none of them are motivated or driven... and none of them I can really talk computers/programming with.

The ONE friend i have who is into tech is busy at MIT.

This group idea was about generating a community around the idea of LEARNING everything that goes into game design.

We'd be just a group of colleagues finding and burning through examples, tutorials, and college courses online.

Having a community to share your progress with. Sharing ideas and offering advice.

Ever found yourself working long hours but had noone to share that work with or get advice from? That's what this group is about.

So far, I've met one guy who is in and I've learned a bit from him- and I gave him a lot of resources I've found (that I hope help him).

If you don't like the idea, that's perfectly okay : ) I just want to create this for people who feel they'd benefit from it.

I know I already have.

Um..... the thing you describe almost fits the concept of a gamdev forum.

"Um..... the thing you describe almost fits the concept of a gamdev forum."

Concept similar, implementation different

1- As it would not be on a forum it would not be so formal

2- It wouldn't be quite as open. ONLY motivated, meaningful members who want to improve themselves. I like these forums but I've noticed they can get somewhat toxic. I dont have time to defend myself or others from snarky comments like I often end up doing on forums...

3- It would be something a bit more 'constant' too. Not something you check once every few hours but something you can keep going in the background.

These forums are more for people who are okay with working by themselves- they just pop in every now and again.

I want a group of people, who may NOT be great at anything yet, just to focus on a common goal of working our way to being skilled game designers.

I spend every day, from morning to the time I go to sleep, working on this goal, and it gets tiring when you have noone to talk to about it XD

Even better than having people to talk to about it would be to have people to work with.

join the chat room (link up the top) tongue.png

If it's that tiring to do this thing all the time, then perhaps you should find other activities to do along (sports maybe) instead of seeking inspiration and motivation from the outside.

I always find it funny when people do what they "love" (at least they say so) while looking for inspiration and motivation from the outside. This looks to be a contradiction to me, but I am pretty dumb in understanding people, so maybe I should just shut up.

If it's that tiring to do this thing all the time, that perhaps you should find other activities to do (sports maybe) instead of seeking inspiration and motivation from the outside.

I always find it funny when people do what they "love" (at least they say so) while looking for inspiration and motivation from the outside

I can't stand sports they bore me to death.

What you described is absolutely nothing like me.

Please don't try again to guess.

Anyway.

The activity itself is enjoyable and I can do it forever.

Ill explain from the most BASIC level I know how.

People have needs.

People need food. Drink. Shelter.

One interesting need is social interaction. Some of us like to have people to talk to.

The problem with my life at the moment... is I can't learn a thing from any of my friends and find them massively demotivating.

Take one friend for example- he lives off his girlfriend, a jobless bum, he complains about having to do his share of the housework, and he plays videogames as a "full time job".

Most of my friends are really laid back- and when they're free they just want to hang out.

VERY. demotivating.

I'd like to meet people I could work with and learn with.

People who match my determination and share my vision.

So we can meet eachother social needs WITHOUT demotivating or providing incentive to play games or slack off.

I hope that cleared things up.

(I love browsing people's programs in their signatures.

So much fun :D

Szecs- is your avatar a Garry Larson illustration? It looks like it

Also nice scorched clone. I had so much fun with Scorched 3d back in highschool.

I introduced it to the school and we had HUGE wars)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement