• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Anddos

Why does game GUI have to be rectangles?

This topic is 1653 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Why does game GUI buttoins have to be rectangles?, why cant they be abnormal shapes?

Edited by Anddos

Advertisement

yes i understand that its easier to implement as a rectangle for easy functionality with the mouse coordinates,but its is possible to make a star button and been able to click it without it being a rectangle point checking.

I also feel like an interface that has a regular pattern is easier for the user to process. If you include too many weird shapes and layouts it may be confusing to the user. I'm not saying that irregular button shapes can't be done well so it isn't confusing, but you just need to be careful not to let innovation in the UI to over complicate it. Cool idea though.

Well, if you work with non-mouse input, it is very good practice to actually detect selection with an area that is a little bit smaller that what you show graphically (or displaced).

If I remember correctly the main menu of Starcraft was a gallactic map. One of the coolest things I've seen in my childhood for game UI :) So, sure, go ahead and do something awesome. Besides, the algorithms for determining whether a point belongs to a closed geometric shape are known, so you don't have to invent anything new. And swiftcoder's idea is even more awesome, because it is simple and fast.

yes i understand that its easier to implement as a rectangle for easy functionality with the mouse coordinates,but its is possible to make a star button and been able to click it without it being a rectangle point checking.

Of course. Why wouldn't it be possible? It's software - you can make the screen show anything you want and process input any way you want. You can take a mouse position, check if it's contained by any arbitrary shape, and then do whatever the heck you want with that information.

On the technical side, the shape can be arbitrary. 

On the human size, one have to consider how we are procesing shapes. If it's a bit complex we'll lost the purpose of the button and we'll focus on the button itself. That makes it less readable. If it's really complex (for example a really weird concave shape with numerous holes and so on) we'll have problem discerning the button itself, and we won't know where we are supposed to click. 

So while we're not limited to rectangle, it's still a good idea to limit ourselves to simple, convex shapes - unless they represent a pattern which is easily understood (such as a country on a world map). Noone wants to make something that is too complex to be parsed by an average humain brain. 

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!