• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Vexal

Rogue-Lite Platformer Game with Character Building

This topic is 1663 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I just started this game a couple weeks ago -- I have a limited prototype working but it's still in tech-demo mode.

A brief summary of the idea is this:

The game uses a voxel system where you can add more blocks to your character as you collect resources from killing bad guys. Each character has a heart block - if this dies, the entire character dies.

All character properties come from their constituent blocks, and these blocks can be dynamically destroyed.

It's still early in development (2 weeks), but I've made some good progress. It's using a game engine I wrote from scratch.

Video of current progress on prototype:

Full write-up of idea, copied and pasted from my website: http://vexal.us/Projects/RogueLitePlatformer/RogueLitePlatformer.html

Overview

This project is my first attempt to create a full game from start to finish, as opposed to just a tech demo like my other projects. So far, with the exception of a couple of functions I copied-and-pasted for parsing DDS Texture headers, every piece of code has been written from scratch by me, and uses my Direct3D 11 Game Engine.

Development Progress Videos

Game Description

This game is a 2D platforming game with Rogue-Like (or Rogue-Lite) gameplay. It features permanent death and extreme difficulty, with a focus on exploration. The levels will be procedurally generated, and there will be no real end to the game -- the goal is to make it as far as possible while unlocking permanent perks to be used for your next character. The standout-feature of this game compared to other 2D Rogue-Lite games is how character progression and destruction is handled.

This game uses a voxel system for rendering and collision. Each character's constituent voxels can be destroyed when taking damage, and collision with the environment is directly based on the character's actual voxel model. All properties of a character are based on the voxels which comprise it; players are able to add additional blocks (such as armor blocks, gun blocks, thruster blocks, etc) to their character whenever they acquire the materials to do so. When a block that's part of a character is destroyed, the character loses the properties brought upon by the destroyed block.

Unlike most other games with a voxel aesthetic, this game uses true voxel animation. The idea for this game was originally inspired by the Lego Movie -- all rendering is tied to a discrete grid. There are no inbetween spaces -- even explosions are aligned.

Combat Details

All characters have a blue "Heart" block as part of their model. If this block is destroyed by an attack, the entire character is destroyed. All blocks that are part of a character must have a path to the Heart block at all times (either directly adjacent, or through any other sequence of surrounding blocks). If a character is struck by a projectile, and some blocks (but not the Heart) are destroyed, any remaining blocks which have become isolated from a path connecting to the Heart are also destroyed.

blockpicture.png 

The blue block is the character's Heart; The green blocks are guns. The grey blocks are fodder.

Character Building

As the player kills more bad guys, resources are collected. These resources can be used in exchange for more blocks to attach to their character. Pressing tab brings up the inventory screen with a selection of block types and the number of these blocks contained in the character's inventory. Selecting a block type, then clicking adjacent to a block on the character will remove the block from the character's inventory and add it to the character's model. Blocks must be attached directly adjacent to existing blocks (or diagonal).

The game will feature many different types of blocks, allowing the player to create uniquely customized characters to approach the game in new ways each playthrough.

Some Example Planned Block Types (?) Denotes that I have not yet chosen a color for this block type.
  • Regular Blocks (Grey): Regular blocks are good for ensuring redundant connections to the Heart block for more important, special blocks (such as gun blocks).
  • Gun Blocks (Green): All shooting is done through gun blocks. When a character attacks, all gun blocks fire simultaneously.
  • Armor Blocks (White): Armor blocks can take increased damage, and prevent explosions from passing through them to damage blocks on their other side.
  • Thruster Blocks (?): Thruster blocks can be assigned a thrust direction and a hotkey; pressing this key will propel the character in the direction assigned when the block is created.
  • Ammo Storage Blocks (?): All ammo used by the character must be stored in blocks on the character.
  • Fuel Storage Blocks (?): All fuel used by additional thrusters must be stored in blocks on the character.
  • Reduced Friction Blocks (?): These blocks will have reduced friction against surfaces, allowing the character to build up more speed while moving along the ground, possibly to perform stunts to reach otherwise difficult to find locations.
  • Lightning Blocks (?): Lightning blocks launch bolts of lightning at nearby enemies.
  • More (?): There will also be other good blocks.
More Gameplay Details

This game is intended to be difficult. When a character takes a hit, it can lose several blocks. Players are intended to have to add more blocks to their character after every encounter they take damage from. Players will be required to exercise great care and strategy in their character's block configuration so that a single deadly blow does not destroy too many of their more valuable blocks.

Because the game engine handles collision detection directly based on the voxels on a character, players attaching enough blocks to their character can make it too wide to fit through certain passageways. Players with the skill to survive with fewer blocks will be able to fit into more secret areas. In addition, collision detection is handled on a block-by-block basis, so when a character moves along the ground, the friction from all blocks touching the surface is accounted for. Characters with fewer blocks on the bottom will have less friction. Each block also contributes to character weight, slowing it down.

I am considering the idea that there will be "personality" blocks that make up AI characters. There will be "pleasant" blocks and "unpleasant" blocks. If an AI character is comprised of a higher number of unpleasant blocks than pleasant blocks, it will attempt to murder you upon seeing you. AI characters comprised of mostly pleasant blocks will attempt to invite the player to dinner parties.

When the AI character is damaged, if the number of each block type changes so that the other block type is more prevalent, the character's disposition could change as a result. This can allow for interesting strategy, where attacking certain parts of an enemy character will cause it to ally the player if the player manages to destroy the enemy's unpleasant blocks.

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!