Some quick pointers

Started by
0 comments, last by warhound 9 years, 10 months ago

Hi all' I'm picking up on C++ and I'd like some advice.

I'm looking to make a simplish game. Not fussed so much about releasing for profit. Think, warband campaign without the first/third person combat. Just a simplish top down 3d point and click game.

As I'm just starting out, I wonder what would be the recomended route to take as far as engines n whatnot. I'm not looking for a shortcut into being an uber programmer, I'm here for the long run.

So my question is this. Ogre3d, or Cryengine 3? UE4 isnt here because of the subscription that theyve introduced.

Thanks all!

Advertisement

Hey there!

My personal preference would be for Cryengine, mainly because of all the features bundled in. It includes a lot of things, like physics, animation, etc. As a beginner, you will want a lot of these features integrated in (even in the long run, it's gonna make your life easier). Ogre3d is ONLY a rendering engine, meaning it will draw stuff on screen for you and that is it. Nothing more than that. You will need to add in at least some stuff, and while there are other libraries you could add in....why go for the trouble when there's another great engine out there that already has everything together? That's my opinion at least.

Good luck!

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement