Anything like a "real" AI.

Started by
92 comments, last by kenwi 22 years, 5 months ago
just what it says.. I just recently had a discussion with someone that ment that it was possible to make a "real" AI that would process and make own decisions based on nothing.. I mean, that it's not possible to have a AI to "think" on it's own. A AI cannot have a fantasy, for example having a word, and know the meaning of the word. and describe the word with other words, using it in different frases. And most of all making own words, which describes other things. A AI does only draw conclusions on things it already knows, right? I am not sure if you know what I mean, but I believe it's not possible to make a ai close to a humans intelligence.. in short, my opinion is: A machine can only know, it cannot understand. Can anyone help me out here on this issue, explain some facts why it would or wouldnt be possible for a AI to work like this.? at least not with todays technology THanks in advance Kenneth Wilhelmsen Download my little game project HERE -------------------------- He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice. This disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, senseless brutality, deplorable love-of-country stance, how violently I hate all this, how despicable and ignoble war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action! It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder Edited by - kenwi on November 3, 2001 2:38:24 PM
Advertisement
quote:
a "real" AI that would process and make own decisions based on nothing..

You dont make decisions based on nothing. You need stimulus (for choices) to make decisions.

quote:
I mean, that it''s not possible to have a AI to "think" on it''s own.

If it looks like it''s thinking on its own, is there really a difference?

quote:
A AI cannot have a fantasy, for example having a word, and know the meaning of the word. and describe the word with other words, using it in different frases. And most of all making own words, which describes other things.

Why not? A word in a human sense is an oral representation of something we can recall from memory. Save an object''s most notable features to memory (to save space just like we humans do) and assosiate with a sound and now you have somewhat of an understanding of that object. Same can be done with actions or specific features. The hard part would be having the AI choose which words to use at what time (which we all do sometimes anyway) in order to convey a specific idea.

quote:
A AI does only draw conclusions on things it already knows, right?

So do you. If I talk about a Snorgoflax, then you''ll have no idea what I''m talking about.

quote:
A machine can only know, it cannot understand.

I disagree. What is understanding but fuller form of knowledge? If I say to the machine "The chicken crossed the road" and it now knows that the chicken has crossed the road and can reference that information on its own, does it not understand?
I think that if nature can create consciousness from a pile of grey matter, we can do the same.

Invader X
Invader''s Realm
The problem isn''t getting the AI to remember (store) facts and knowledge; it is getting it to understand relationships between them.
A computer system can store all sorts of fact, and even store some relationships between them. But it can''t intuitively figure out new relationships that humans can (at least as far as I have heard).
If they could do that, we would have SkyNet already, and Terminator 2 would have happened.
Why wouldn''t they be able to? What makes us so special?

Invader X
Invader''s Realm
quote:Original post by Invader X
Why wouldn't they be able to? What makes us so special?

Invader X
Invader's Realm

I think it's conciousness. We're more than just a bunch of neurons and brain cells, but a computer is just a bunch of ones and zeros. But this opens one huge can of worms

A CRPG in development...

Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself.

Edited by - Nazrix on November 3, 2001 9:50:17 PM
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
quote:Original post by Nazrix
We''re more than just a bunch of neurons and brain cells, but a computer is just a bunch of ones and zeros. But this opens one huge can of worms

Can you prove that? If you can, you could probably apply the same argument to computers .

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]
quote:
We''re more than just a bunch of neurons and brain cells

What else are we?

Invader X
Invader''s Realm
--
We''re more than just a bunch of neurons and brain cells
--

What else are we?

Invader X
Invader''s Realm

Come on, we''ve all seen Final Fantasy (the movie).. *grin*
quote:Original post by Null and Void

Can you prove that? If you can, you could probably apply the same argument to computers .

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]

Okay you have a point

How about this: We have the ability of self-conciousness. The neurons in our brain are able to be aware of themselves and ask why they exist among other questions.

I guess I can''t prove that computers and animals don''t do that though
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
What else are we?

Invader X
Invader's Realm

That's where you delve into religion or lack thereof. That's where the "can of worms" is opened

Okay...everyone can thank Nazrix for causing the topic to go compltely off-course

A CRPG in development...

Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself.

Edited by - Nazrix on November 4, 2001 1:49:31 AM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement