Amateur Video Game Development - Costs

Started by
0 comments, last by Tom Sloper 9 years, 10 months ago

I was wondering if anyone here could clarify some very broad and generic questions about designing and producing a video game.

I have played too many video games to count and was wondering at the feasibility of creating a video game without any real background in coding/programming. I am a recent college graduate and I have access to funds through connections and family. I have a strong background in finance and accounting.

Is this something that is possible with services such as Kickstarter (or even gathering investors the old fashion way)?

What sort of cost am I looking to create this game for PC? Obviously I am looking for a rough estimate or range, anything to help me gauge scale of fundraising and investments. To clarify this cost would be for everything. Art, sound, programming, etc…

Some background on the game to give you a better idea of cost estimation:

• Simulation game with aspects of city building / resource management / and interactive story telling through events and decisions.
  • The only screen that you see moving units and models will be the screen viewing your “settlement”. The rest is going to be 2d maps / menus / interface.
  • Not trying to stun anyone with realistic graphics, going to be a dark and scary simple graphic style. (Not opposed to pixilated etc and other simplistic but appealing types of visualization.)
  • Small unit size and building detail.
  • Zoomed out camera to manage your settlement in a classic city builder type point of view.
  • No multiplayer, single player campaign, once beaten endless survival mode.
  • Units are never directed movement-wise, they do their own thing after you assign them a role or job within the city. (Patrolling the walls, farming, etc…)

I am in the stage of working through a game design document and planning out every possible aspect through text, sketches, and mind mapping tools.

In summation: If I plan out every possible aspect of the game in text / GDD / sketches what will my costs be for a PC simulation / building / interactive settlement management game?

P.S. – Some games that gave me inspiration are Banished (PC), King of Dragon Pass (iPad), Rebuild (iOs / flash), Age of Empires, Majesty…

Any help or information provided would be awesome!

Advertisement
Please don't crosspost. You're getting answers to the thread in Business, so I'm closing this one.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement