Is this spam or an official gamedev newsletter?

Started by
7 comments, last by DejaimeNeto 9 years, 9 months ago

Hello,

second time I got this mail:

HOME ARTICLES FORUMS

GDNet Direct Newsletter for Tuesday, May 27th, 2014

Thanks for subscribing to the GDNet newsletter! You too can write for GameDev.net and share your experience with thousands of others. We couldn't do this without you!
Screenshot Showdown Top Shots

Forum Posts to Check Out
Why does game GUI have to be rectangles? - Started by Anddos in Game Programming
DirectX10 - Rasterizer state - Started by fread in DirectX and XNA
OpenGL Texture Coordinates - Started by Misantes in For Beginners
What am I forgetting to optimize? - Started by polyfrag in OpenGL
Entity component system designing - Started by songalgeen in For Beginners
Newest Articles

Entities-Parts III: Serialization
By David Chen
Building on the RPG Battle Example, this article will describe how to load entities from XML files using the JAXB serialization framework.

Introduction to Unity Test Tools
By Lior Tal
This article introduces Unity Test Tools - an official solution for creating and executing automated tests for Unity projects without leaving the comforts of the editor.

Creating a Very Simple GUI System for Small Games - Part III
By Martin Prantl
If you are writing your own game, sooner or later you will need some sort of user interface (or graphic user interface = GUI). There are some existing libraries lying around and there are a lot of...

From Donkey Kong to the Silver Screen: The Past, Present and Future of Game Cinematics
By Martin McBain
Whilst the earliest uses of cinematics within games were very simple affairs - intros and outros or bookends to gameplay - we have moved on to stunningly impressive cinematic sequences and interact...

Orbital Debris - Making an HTML5 Game With Phaser
By Wolfgang Graebner
Orbital Debris is a small game I made in HTML5 with Phaser for a game jam organized by FGL. Read on and I'll tell you how I made it.

Creating a Very Simple GUI System for Small Games - Part II
By Martin Prantl
If you are writing your own game, sooner or later you will need some sort of user interface (or graphic user interface = GUI). There are some existing libraries lying around and there are a lot of...

5 Core Elements of Interactive Storytelling
By Thomas Grip
Thomas (from Frictional Games) shares his personal view on 5 core elements of interactive storytelling in video games.

GameDev.net Game Development Community
http://www.gamedev.net/

Nearly all links in the mail point to http://cts.vresp.com/u?*******************

Is it spam/phishing or your official newsletter?

Thanks

Advertisement

I received the exact same email and I am not registered to the newsletter.

So I suspect this is indeed spam given the sender: GameDev.net@mail.vresp.com

I am also not registered to any newsletter.

So they probably hacked the gamedev.net database which contains the user mail addresses because this is the only spam/phishing I received in the last 3 months...

I didn't receive any spam...

Guys, vresp.com (VerticalResponse) is a service that sends automated emails based on mailing lists, which GDNet presumably uses to distribute the GDNet newsletter. Just because an URL is abbreviated and contains some h3x characters doesn't mean it's automatically malware out to get you smile.png

Anyway, yes, there is an official GDNet newsletter, and yes, it doesn't seem to be set up right, since people appear to be receiving it even when they are not subscribed, and it's not obvious whether one is actually subscribed or not (I think there were a couple bug reports a while ago, not sure). But to unsubscribe, simply click the "unsubscribe" link at the bottom on the email, and you shouldn't receive it anymore. I suppose you can resubscribe by clicking the "join now" link on the homepage should you want to.

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

That is the newsletter we send out. It contains a summary view of the newest articles and forum posts. Believe it or not staying on as a subscriber is a free way to help support the site as we can rent out a small text portion of the newsletter to advertisers. I know a lot of people like to use adblock and such, which I totally get but we have to continually find different ways to help keep the site going.

We use VerticalResponse.com as our newsletter host and they insert all those links into our emails before they get sent out.

Anywho, if you choose to stay a subscriber you'd be helping us out a ton. Thanks for the support either way.

@bacterius: It's was kinda hard not to be suspicious when the "abbreviation" is longer than the actual name, that a quick google about vresp.com wasn't exactly reassuring and that you have never asked for the said newsletter in the first place . . .

I know a lot of people like to use adblock and such, which I totally get but we have to continually find different ways to help keep the site going.

So you basically admit that you sent it without opt-in authorization. That's cute... Sure way to gain my support.

@bacterius: It's was kinda hard not to be suspicious when the "abbreviation" is longer than the actual name, that a quick google about vresp.com wasn't exactly reassuring and that you have never asked for the said newsletter in the first place . . .

I know a lot of people like to use adblock and such, which I totally get but we have to continually find different ways to help keep the site going.

So you basically admit that you sent it without opt-in authorization. That's cute... Sure way to gain my support.

We send emails to Gamedev.net members on Tuesdays/Thursdays (though we hadn't sent any emails for about a month prior to last week I believe). You can also opt-in separately without a Gamedev.net account on the front page and you can also unsubscribe by clicking the link at the bottom of any email you get and never get it again.

I apologize for any headaches we've caused you. In Gmail you should only see the newsletter in your Updates tab.

I never opted in. I never received any newsletter.

@edit -
Tried to sign up to the newsletter in the home page (which by the way looks like it has nothing to do with the GD.net account) and they even send an e-mail confirmation in order to complete the sign up.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement