Your first game / programming project?

Started by
33 comments, last by Vortez 9 years, 10 months ago

What was your first project?

Mine was this Tetris game I made in the Warcraft 3 level editor in 2003 when I was 14. It wasn't the first map I made in Warcraft, but it was my first time using the scripting language (JASS) instead of the GUI. Level editing in WC3 was what initially taught me about things like variables and loops, before I ever got to a real language like Java.

Advertisement

Mine was some simple chopter game in a some game maker tool on the C64 (mid '80), first real coded game in the late '80 (?) on the atari ST, some simple sprite based role playing game (never finished) in asm, better iso role playing game with a friend as artist on amiga (early '90), the same friend with who I'm developing Gnoblins now smile.png

Now I feel old...dry.png

I did something similar in Warcraft 3, but with a Bomberman game. That wasn't my first project that involved programming though.

My first project involved creating a heavily scripted map for Medal Of Honor: Allied Assault. In that game you have the map which is created in a level editor, and then you create a level script that goes along with it. I haven't played much of Quake 3, but I'm guessing this is the "Quake C" type stuff that that game had.

My vision was to create a level that was heavily scripted that had you fighting alongside squadmates that weren't cannon fodder. There was a medic in the original game, but I wrote a medic script from scratch that was more customizeable. You could tell the medic who to follow, how many health packs he had to give to others, etc. I eventually wanted to write AI for him to take cover during battles but I never figured that out.

The level that my YouTube video shows isn't the first project I did in MOHAA, but it was the culmination of everything I learned writing scripts for that game. Everything "scripted" that you see in the video is done via the level script. The squadmates following each other, the tank encounter, conversations, truck ride, etc were all done with my level script. A lot of things are broken as you can see, and I eventually gave up when I tried to implement wall climbing at the end.

The scripts involved mainly if statements and for loops. There were also several functions, which were either called with "thread function" which would execute the function in a separate thread, or "waitthread function" which would call the function and block until it returned. I asked LOADS of questions on the Medal Of Honor .Map forums, where the people there were extremely patient and helpful, and taught me a lot about programming (especially the user jv_map, or jvmap, I can't remember the spelling).

This was done in the Summer of 2003, when I was 14 too like Vexal. Then Call Of Duty was announced (by the original developers of MOHAA that went to form their own company) and they took the vision that I had for my map and made a complete game out of it smile.png

Visit my website! donny.webfreehosting.net
My first project was to cycle the TV screen through all 16 colors. It took about 40 lines of code in basic. I was six, reading the manuals that came with the computer (TI 99/4a). My teenage brother came home, asked me why I didn't use a loop, and got me hooked. I've been programming ever since.

I think my first program was something similar to Frob just flashing the border on a 48k Speccy. My first game was a simple text based adventure game where the user has been sucked down the toilet.

Text adventure in basic, Amiga 500, more or less 13-14 yo. Setting was a vampyre's castle. smile.png

I wrote a kind of game when I was 12. I had access to a 1K single board micro which had a 6 digit LED display and a hex keypad.

I coded a game where each segment of the display fired off at random and you had to press a key when a specific one fired.

I didn't have any storage device for the computer, no tape drive or anything, so I had to key in the hex for the game everytime I wanted to play it. sad.png

We got our hands on an Apple I a few years later. Man that was a different world.

It was a text aventure game in basic too, on an apple II. smile.png

It was a lot inspired by the "A thrilling fantasy adventure in which YOU are the hero" books I was reading (I was 7yo).

It was a text aventure game in basic too, on an apple II. smile.png

It was a lot inspired by the "A thrilling fantasy adventure in which YOU are the hero" books I was reading (I was 7yo).

Funny, I was just about to say pretty much the same exact thing.

The first "game" I made on the Commodore64 was something like a man dodging random obstacles on a scrolling screen. It was in Basic, and the scrolling of the obstacles was accomplished by printing them to the lowest row of the screen, which is the mechanism normally used for text scrolling smile.png The year was 1986 or so, when I was 8 years old.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement