Your first game / programming project?

Started by
33 comments, last by Vortez 9 years, 10 months ago

All my firsts projects were assignments of different classes during my career.

The first projects I did where all in Pascal and wheren't really interesting... parsing files or working with structures.

The first "game" project I did was a game witout input and without GUI. It was a simulation of drilling machines from different teams moving through the ground collecting things and attacking other drillers. It sounds kind of good, but it was really boring, everything happened in a second and the winnier team was stored in a file. Code in C++ to learn about OOP.

The first project with a real GUI was a math app, there was a field to write a 2D math function (y = f(x)) and some ranges, and the function was drawn between those ranges. After drawing a function you could calculate the derivate on a point or the integrate between 2 points. It was all in Java and Swing.

My first playable game was a Zuma clone with C++/SDL. The game was fully playable with some levels... I have that code somewhere in my PC, it would be fun to look at it years later.

Advertisement

My first game was a tank game I made in Alice 2.0 when I was 13. It was really simplistic, the player controlled one tank in an urban environment and had to fight it out against hordes of tanks that basically patrolled the entire city (of sorts, it was a small map). There weren't any explosions or anything like that. I ended up making several similar games like this tank game with improvements in AI. After my third project or so, I ended up switching to an actual scripting language.

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

My first game was a frogger game in visual basic. I remember when I first got the frog icon to move and the traffic going. It was a really memorable moment. It had no collision and was never finished but it kicked started curiosity that brought me to c++.

I havent made anything useful in c++ or anything cool. Its not that I dont understand the language its hard for me to understand external libraries and get them working without feeling like im not really sure what im doing. Perhaps the libraries I try and use are to big and bulky like game engines.

My first project was totally overzealous. XD I was attempting to use darkbasic to make a model of a plane fly around (and if it hit terrain, explode).

I didn't have any discipline then, so i was able to do the plane bit.... but making the collisions happen? Never happened.

I then went to gamemake and RPG maker.... eventually AGS... Just playing with all the simple things...

Before I realized that I REALLY needed to be serious otherwise my creative potential would be limited.

At the age of 20 I learned the C language and made a command-line RPG based on the Bubblegum Crisis anime series. It was a six month project but I enjoyed it and was my first full game. With each compile and test, it was a wonderful experience to see a program come alive - maybe not visually, but at least through messages displayed on screen. It was such a nice experience that I even remember watching the first ever Big Brother show in the evenings whilst beavering away at it.

Wasn't there a guy obessed with a chicken? I swear there was! ^_^

Languages; C, Java. Platforms: Android, Oculus Go, ZX Spectrum, Megadrive.

This was my first "real" game: http://www.fightclubgames.net/games/mr-pigus-swing-adventure/

Me and the others who worked on it are embarrased about it now, but it could have been a lot worse. :P

Prior to attending game school I made that first GameMaker tutorial about clicking bouncing objects in a little room.

But my first non-tutorial game was a text-based dice game made in C# for our introductory scripting class. That was in early 2010.

The first thing I ever worked on was a cylinder jumping around on boxes. Actually, I didn't even make it from scratch, I just tweaked and added things to existing examples:

1_zpsd65f101a.png

Years later, I turned it into something that looked awful:

snapshot60.jpg
"I would try to find halo source code by bungie best fps engine ever created, u see why call of duty loses speed due to its detail." -- GettingNifty

Mine was a platformer for a guy I liked a lot who lived in another country. I think it worked.

Personally, I made my own text adventure, in 20kb : and it was expansive! (on Acorn Electron)

Then I made a platformer in Basic, which highlighted the crappinest of Basic!

I then when on to reproduce the 'moon lander' game in assembly. What an experience! The electron was dire at sprites - if you wanted any kind of performance you did it in assembly - except assembly in 'them days' looked like "Poke[ 5, 15, 254, 198, 62, 120, 78, 97] - which you called directly from your program! they were machine code instructions!

Ah, back then the most stressed I ever got was over the value in the accumulator! - most of the readers of this will not have a clue as to what I am talking about!

80's programming was hard/cool/educational/did I say hard? lol

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement