Advise for a beginner needed

Started by
13 comments, last by Tutorial Doctor 9 years, 10 months ago

Thanks, but only one question. Don't i need scripting skills for those engines?

Not if you're willing to shell out some money.

Unreal has drag-and-drop interface built in, and there's a (paid, if I'm not mistaken) plugin for Unity that enables such feature. You can get it from Unity's Asset Store.

Advertisement

Wow maratis looks pretty cool, i think i'm gonna try to use it.

You need a OOP language for 3D

Just a small correction since this is a For Beginners topic, but you do not need OOP for 3d at all - they're completely unrelated and it's entirely possible to write 3d software without using OOP. :)

(Posted from mobile, please excuse any small formatting or spelling errors.)

- Jason Astle-Adams

Complementing what has been said, I'd like to say two things:

1. As has been said, a FPS is, definetly, too big to be your first game.

2. In my opinion, you can start with any language you want, really. Even if your goal is to do a 3D game, there are plenty of engines with which you can program your game in other languages. For instance, you can use C# or JavaScript with Unity, Python with Panda3D or Java with jMonkeyEngine, just to show a few examples.

Of course, if you want to code your own 3D rendering engine then yes, you should go for C++, but otherwise there are plenty of choices more easy to start with than C++.

That being said, what I would do in your place is the following:

1. Choose any language you want.

2. Code some simple 2D game (like snake, breakout, tetris, pong...).

3. Hopefully, here you will already have realized how complicated is to do a FPS. Pick the next thing you need to learn and code a game a bit more complex than the previous one.

4. Repeat point 3 until you have your FPS.

From my experience with Maratis, I'd have to disagree that a third person game has to be too complicated to be a first game.

The code for the demo Sponza level is very short and straightforward. It was a good example for me to see how an FPS could be coded.

It might be that the API is really well structured though.

Even if you decide to not use Maratis in the end, I'd have to say that what I have learned using it is invaluable (as far as game development goes).

They call me the Tutorial Doctor.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement