Beginner. Chosing the propper programing language for 2D platform game

Started by
4 comments, last by warhound 9 years, 10 months ago

Hello, I am new to this forum so as a beginner first of all I would like you guys to suggest me, before i start this quest of game making, which language is most suitable? I have been reading a lot on internet but there are so much languages soI'm still undecided. I was thinking of writing in C#, java, C++ or Python, but since C++ is a difficult language to learn for beginner, I am looking for a easy path.

Since I am a begginer, I havent yet started working in any environment such as Unity, Game Maker... I want to pick a language with as many tutorials online and comunity support. My goal is to create a 2d platform pixel game with interactive elements. I love playing with lights and shadows so I would need a proper engine too.

Thank you in advance.

Advertisement

Rather than repeating a lot of what has already been said before, I instead will suggest you take a small amount of time to read through this forum. Your question has been asked, and answered several times just on the first page.

I suggest you research first on Game Frameworks/Engines that will accommodate your needs. Then choose whatever language that engine requires.

For 2d, I can suggest cocos2d-x and use C++ (cocos2d-x uses Javascript/C++/Lua/etc). Unity has fairly new 2d system and I also highly suggest it, use C# (Unity uses Javascript/C#/Boo). These 2 are the most popular for Mobile game industry, IMHO.

Now, if you don't want to use any engine or tools and want to learn all the hard work, maybe you can start with C/C++ and learn OpenGL to do the rendering. I suggest OpenGL because it is cross-platform but that is a different thread.

But I say go use a framework/engine for now because you're a beginner. Try to learn with the bigger picture and delve deep later. This will make you do more (games!) and keeps you motivated. I think used GameMaker for my very first game, and I learned a lot from that experience.

Unity has fairly new 2d system and I also highly suggest it

How about the new Unreal Engine 4? Epic Games, the devs of the engine, used it to create a mobile 2D game example, Tappy Chicken , which is now available on Apple App Store, Google Play Store and via HTML for free. It was developed by one of their artists (yes, only one person who is NOT a programmer himself) with the UE4 using its new feature, Blueprint in a weekend. It's like a visual programming (I think?) so I think it's suitable for the one who wants to sell games without any programming knowledge, especially the price is suprisingly cheap (ONLY 19$ A MONTH PLUS TAKING 5% OF THE MONEY YOU'VE EARNED FROM YOUR GAME USING THE ENGINE BRO).
A C++ programming beginner from Malaysia.

My first game was created with GameMaker, I think it is a good choice for beginners, and after that try learning so more advance stuff like c++ and OpenGL.

I personally recommend Unity, it's my engine of choice. Again, the engine you choose is mostly personal preference.

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement