will make help me?

Started by
16 comments, last by fir 9 years, 10 months ago

I am writing c/winapi codes (mingw no ide just simple editor and commandline compiler)

Recently i esteblished maybe a bit unique (not sure) 'project system' I divided my source on very small modules (each is separately compiled to own .o file) then I link it together to final exe

Those modules are contained in large folder tree, each module source has its own folder so I got a large number of folders (say 400) containing small modules - it is also not flat set of folder but tree containing about four to five levels of depth (subfolders in subfolders )

it is working but i would like to make it maybe a bit of more comfortable,

there are maybe a two mayor uncomfortabilities here

1) header managment

each module exports of course its ow header

for simplicity i made one big header in the root of folder tree that includes all the small header down the folder tree (so i got one summa header having 400 lines of includes)

on the opposite each module includes that summaric folder - there is a little inconvenience becouse i must write something like

c:\mingw\bin\g++ -O3 -w -c phys_scanline.c -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions -I ..\..\..\

this "-I ..\..\..\" is needed for reach this main summaric header up the folder tree

2) object managment

like the same trouble i got with managing .o for linker,

all my .o lays in my big folder tree, so in command line for linker i must build a very long list (I said it is close to 400 modules (not all already on, because im revriting my old framweork)) of the paths to this obj files

Managing of this 400 headers references and 400 obj references is burdensome [adding one module may be not so much work but as i said those modules are small and often added, also refactoring, esp changing the folder structure is then extremally burdensome] and consumes an important amount of energy (on the other side this "multilevel of folders type of project" has some advantages (it is

well ordered, graphics modules are in one folder, window modules in another ) and finaly i dont know if i could hold the tree structure of the project minimalising the large amount of work managing all the references - and maybe to make it more clear yet (I need maximum possible clarity in all sources and tied managment scripts and binaries, )

Does has somebody some idea how i can improve this? Will some make maybe help with that (now i just use 400 .bat files for compiling each module , and one root .bat to link everything bats are not so burdensome, more burdensome is editing this summaric header file and the summaric linker commandline)

Advertisement

I have no idea what made you do that thing with folders and subfolders, it sounds like it has much more cons than pros.

I'm not sure if you're talking about makefiles and the "make" command, but yes, a makefile will help you, you can define some recursive rules to just compile and link everything, but maybe with your approach and those hundreds of .bat files it's kind of risky to make such a big change wacko.png.

About those header files with 400 #include lines... I don't know what can help you with that, it sounds like a bad idea to me and I'd have avoided that from the begining.

for simplicity i made one big header in the root of folder tree that includes all the small header down the folder tree (so i got one summa header having 400 lines of includes)

Are you sure this really simplifies things? I have found common headers like these are a mistake, as they obscure the relationships between modules, and also happen to increase build times by a lot. I would strongly recommend the traditional approach of including only what your module depends on. That way you can even feed your code to e.g. doxygen or some other tool and it will generate a dependency graph which will show which modules depend on which, aiding in refactoring and design.

And maybe try to reduce the number of "modules"? I have a hard time believing you have 400 pieces of independent functionality in your code that can't be logically grouped in some fashion. A common separation is math/graphics/window/physics/input/network for games, but that's not the only one possible of course. But 400? Come on, not every function needs its own module.

on the opposite each module includes that summaric folder - there is a little inconvenience becouse i must write something like

c:\mingw\bin\g++ -O3 -w -c phys_scanline.c -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions -I ..\..\..\

this "-I ..\..\..\" is needed for reach this main summaric header up the folder tree

This is kind of unusual - typically your build system will keep track of the root source directory and all includes are done relative to it, this is best especially if your headers are going to be consumed by others, since they won't be including your headers from their respective directories, so if they all #include other headers relative to their own location in the header tree, well, it isn't going to work. Also, may I suggest compiling C code with an actual C compiler... or if it's (some subset of) C++, mark it as such, people are going to be confused if they find C++ code in a .c file while trying to understand why your project isn't building for them.

like the same trouble i got with managing .o for linker,
all my .o lays in my big folder tree, so in command line for linker i must build a very long list (I said it is close to 400 modules (not all already on, because im revriting my old framweork)) of the paths to this obj files

Managing of this 400 headers references and 400 obj references is burdensome [adding one module may be not so much work but as i said those modules are small and often added, also refactoring, esp changing the folder structure is then extremally burdensome] and consumes an important amount of energy (on the other side this "multilevel of folders type of project" has some advantages (it is
well ordered, graphics modules are in one folder, window modules in another ) and finaly i dont know if i could hold the tree structure of the project minimalising the large amount of work managing all the references - and maybe to make it more clear yet (I need maximum possible clarity in all sources and tied managment scripts and binaries, )

So don't reference every single source file in the root makefile? Seems to me you aren't managing your dependencies properly, why does the root makefile (or batch file or whatever) need to know that you added a file somewhere deep down in the graphics module? In most projects I've seen and worked on, each module is compiled down to a static library by a separate makefile (for instance, graphics.a, window.a, etc..), with possible dependencies between modules (for instance, graphics.a may depend on math.a) and the root makefile simply links those together with the main program to build the final executable (without any knowledge of every source file involved - just the major modules). Basically, implement the modules as libraries (even if they aren't going to be released separately - developing them separately helps a lot with modularity and is just better practice across the board).

In other words, the graphics module knows how to build itself, and the root makefile simply asks the graphics module to do so and then links the result with the other modules. No need to overcomplicate things with 400 batch files smile.png

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

I have no idea what made you do that thing with folders and subfolders, it sounds like it has much more cons than pros.

I'm not sure if you're talking about makefiles and the "make" command, but yes, a makefile will help you, you can define some recursive rules to just compile and link everything, but maybe with your approach and those hundreds of .bat files it's kind of risky to make such a big change wacko.png.

About those header files with 400 #include lines... I don't know what can help you with that, it sounds like a bad idea to me and I'd have avoided that from the begining.

revriting/refactoring my "400 modules" system/project is possible though as I say it is burdensome - and for example could take you a 3 days of a bit stressfull work (stressful becouse before you done it it is not working ;/ and this is stressful (more - if you leave it it may be a little hard to recheck what you have to mend ;/)

why i decided to try this tree? tree is a better /more increased

level of order/organisation /tidy - linear pack of modules can simulate it with some prefixes (and i used it previously) but i decided to give a try to real folder tree

the trouble is what i said - the dream it would be working automatic it is if i would not need to hold this fc*kng hard references in a form of summaric header and summaric linker

list

if you corious how my link.bat looks like

set PATH=c:\mingw\bin;
c:\mingw\bin\g++ -O3 -Wl,--subsystem,windows -w wis\window\change_resolution\change_resolution.o wis\window\resize_window\resize_window.o wis\window\setup_window\setup_window.o wis\window\toggle_fullscreen\toggle_fullscreen.o wis\window\game_pause\game_pause.o wis\service_input\service_keyboard\service_keyboard.o wis\service_input\service_mouse\service_mouse.o wis\service_input\service_rawinput\service_rawinput.o wis\service_input\input_assistant\input_assistant.o wis\service_input\camera_navigator\camera_navigator.o wis\system_info\cpu_info\cpu_info.o wis\system_info\ram_info\ram_info.o wis\system_info\qpc_timer\qpc_timer.o wis\system_info\run_benchmarks\run_benchmarks.o wis\configuration\configuration\configuration.o wis\client_data\blitter\blitter.o wis\client_data\depth_bitmap\depth_bitmap.o wis\client_data\frame_bitmap\frame_bitmap.o wis\client_data\stencil_bitmap\stencil_bitmap.o wis\handle_errors\handle_signals\handle_signals.o wis\handle_errors\handle_errors\handle_errors.o wis\assist_info\hud_assistant\hud_assistant.o wis\assist_info\plot_frame_time\plot_frame_time.o wis\assist_info\window_title\window_title.o gs\frame\frame.o gs\cars\cars.o gs\pixelguerilla\pixelguerilla.o dris\2d\phys_pixel\phys_pixel.o dris\2d\phys_scanline\phys_scanline.o dris\2d\phys_vertline\phys_vertline.o dris\2d\phys_line\phys_line.o dris\2d\phys_wire_circle\phys_wire_circle.o dris\2d\phys_wire_rectangle\phys_wire_rectangle.o dris\2d\phys_fill_circle\phys_fill_circle.o dris\2d\phys_fill_rectangle\phys_fill_rectangle.o dris\2d\phys_fill_triangle\phys_fill_triangle.o dris\2d\phys_dot_scanline\phys_dot_scanline.o dris\2d\phys_dot_vertline\phys_dot_vertline.o dris\2d\phys_dot_wire_rectangle\phys_dot_wire_rectangle.o dris\3d\camera\camera.o dris\3d\point_3d\point_3d.o cs\rand\rand.o -s -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions -lpsapi -lgdi32 -o program.exe
this is only 40 modules but this is only a part of it - whole of my project is nearly 10 times biger
this is all burdensome becouse sometimes i like to refactor it as a living organism (names expresses some idea on organisation of my modules etc)
I had no hope to dio it totally "hard reference -less" becasuse c do not support this way (a bit of shame) but i would like to make it a bit simpler if possible
could you maybe eleborate a bit what can i do with make - presently i do not know make at all
I susspect that i could wrote some scripts or c prog to scan my folder tree and produce in full automatic both "summaric header"
and "linker list" (such a thing would greatly help in refactoring works) but this can be considered a bit ugly too (and is some
work at least few hours and probably a couple of times more as I am not to good at it) - but at large refectoring works (renaming branches of my tree and filanames - would be probably of much help)
Ps. maybe someone would like to wrote such script (or two scripts one for header and one for .o files ) and made them avaliable so I could try it?

This is kind of unusual - typically your build system will keep track of the root source directory and all includes are done relative to it, this is best especially if your headers are going to be consumed by others, since they won't be including your headers from their respective directories, so if they all #include other headers relative to their own location in the header tree, well, it isn't going to work.

What do you mean? Can you say how the build systems do that?

(I did not understood)

in my system I probably could define some bat variable containing root of my project like c:\code then use this variable instead of relative "-I ..\..\..\" (this "-I ..\..\..\" makes problems in refectoring becouse it can be "-I ..\..\..\" but "-I ..\..\" or "-I ..\..\..\..\" in another bat) but I distaste such hard references yet more than this relative ones (If i move my root folder the c:\code2 i then woulfd have to change this path - or is there some way of automatic obtaining it in some building scripts so it would be working?)

What do you mean that building systems "keep track" on this - what is the way such systems do?

(on the rest i will answer a bit later im going to eat something)

ps. if we talking about it is there a way of running my compiling bat

set PATH=c:\mingw\bin;

c:\mingw\bin\g++ -O3 -w -c frame.c -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions -I ..\..\
not to wrote with hand name of the module (here "frame.c")
but to make them take the only one .c file avaliable in the folder and insert it automaticaly here? (this way i culd spare a work of handwritting this in each of 400 compiling bats)

1)

Are you sure this really simplifies things? I have found common headers like these are a mistake, as they obscure the relationships between modules, and also happen to increase build times by a lot. I would strongly recommend the traditional approach of including only what your module depends on. That way you can even feed your code to e.g. doxygen or some other tool and it will generate a dependency graph which will show which modules depend on which, aiding in refactoring and design.

2)

And maybe try to reduce the number of "modules"? I have a hard time believing you have 400 pieces of independent functionality in your code that can't be logically grouped in some fashion. A common separation is math/graphics/window/physics/input/network for games, but that's not the only one possible of course. But 400? Come on, not every function needs its own module.

AD1) this is much work - i agree that this is logically better to include only the headers module uses - but it is really much more work esp if you do refactoring (common header reduces it much)

[as to slowdown i do not noticed it - even a big common header with few thousand of declarations shouldnt be noticable imo - probably - someone was saying that it is say 400 files read from disk so it is noticable ? reads may be noticable (though disk cache probably should elimnate it , ?) but compiler processing should be near to zero)

AD2) I like to prefer small modules indeed i made them very small (many modules have a couple of functions only 1-5,6,7 functions),

I decided to try this for some reasons

So don't reference every single source file in the root makefile? Seems to me you aren't managing your dependencies properly, why does the root makefile (or batch file or whatever) need to know that you added a file somewhere deep down in the graphics module? In most projects I've seen and worked on, each module is compiled down to a static library by a separate makefile (for instance, graphics.a, window.a, etc..), with possible dependencies between modules (for instance, graphics.a may depend on math.a) and the root makefile simply links those together with the main program to build the final executable (without any knowledge of every source file involved - just the major modules). Basically, implement the modules as libraries (even if they aren't going to be released separately - developing them separately helps a lot with modularity and is just better practice across the board).

this not helps, I was thinking about it then but abandoned it ,

here instead one summaric header with 400 inludes and same for linker you have say 4 headers with 100 includes and same 4 linker scripts 100 modules each - this is zero improvement, the real burden of carrying this 2 (or 3 if counting bats )x 400 paths stays the same (this 3x400 project names source is a source over a source -long text of module names)

could you maybe eleborate a bit what can i do with make - presently i do not know make at all
I susspect that i could wrote some scripts or c prog to scan my folder tree and produce in full automatic both "summaric header"
and "linker list" (such a thing would greatly help in refactoring works) but this can be considered a bit ugly too (and is some
work at least few hours and probably a couple of times more as I am not to good at it) - but at large refectoring works (renaming branches of my tree and filanames - would be probably of much help)
Ps. maybe someone would like to wrote such script (or two scripts one for header and one for .o files ) and made them avaliable so I could try it?

I won't explain how a makefile works, you'll find good information in google. Start by a tutorial to understand what's the purpose of it: http://mrbook.org/tutorials/make/ (first result searching "makefile tutorial")

And then try something like this: http://lackof.org/taggart/hacking/make-example/ (first result searching "makefile recursive tutorial").

makefiles are not considered "a bit ugly", they're useful and the first option to handle those compilation tasks. It's not a hacky way to do it, it's a perfectly valid and standard way. There are other tools for this like CMake, but I guess you don't need more than make.

No, make will not help you here.

The purpose of make is to rebuild only what has changed, and to make sure everything that depends on a change gets rebuilt (rebuild everything that's necessary, but no more). You still need to specify dependencies somehow. Much of the point of make is defeated if you have One Big Header that includes all other headers.

If you're using GNU make and the GNU compiler collection, you can use extensions that will calculate compile-time dependencies, eliminating much of the work: that's how wrappers like the Linux kconfig system and the GNU autotools work: you simply specifiy the translation units (generally .c or .cpp files) and the rest gets determined at build time. Other wrappers like CMake reinvent that using their own separate codebase. These will still give you build-time grief because of your "simplified" headers, but will be less work for you to maintain the dependencies.

You might also consider breaking your projects down into modules using static libraries, so each only needs to be rebuilt when the module changes and the public API is limited to the public library API: this should simplify your link command lines and header structure in a good way, making any tight coupling manifest.

So, make on its own will not help you here, but using make in conjunction with wrapper tools developed over the last half century or so to solve your problems will definitely help solve your problems. It's definitely worth your looking in to.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

I'm not sure why you think any of this is in any way "simple". An IDE will do it all automatically for you - no work certainly seems simpler than the amount of work you've put in so far.

Direct3D has need of instancing, but we do not. We have plenty of glVertexAttrib calls.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement