what is most difficult in programming to you?

Started by
58 comments, last by _the_phantom_ 9 years, 10 months ago
Naming things.

... Come on, admit it. You know it's true.
Advertisement

I seem to have fair bit of difficulty with a few major things:

making UIs/artwork/... which doesn't suck;

doing stuff which lacks an obvious way forwards (I can do pretty good at throwing together implementations of various specs or cloning stuff, but often things are a lot slower/painful if I have to try to find the way forward for myself);

trying to do anything "from a clean slate" (vs hacking on or extending things);

some general things I seem to have difficulty with:

thinking "high-level", pretty much my entire world is "whatever I have on hand at the moment" (like, it gets frustrating with people always expecting me to think "higher level", for me, these sorts of "high-level" thoughts simply don't really exist in the first place);

thinking of "the future" as something which actually exists (it always just seems so distant, whereas whatever is going on at the moment, I can see it as it is taking place);

being expected to plan/research/... things in isolation, vs just going and "doing whatever" (and working out the specifics as they come up);

my way forwards is usually just to pile up various things and options / experiences / ..., and see whichever is more usable/promising/works-better/... then each thing seemingly opening the way to the next thing (like, if I do something myself, I have a better feel for what all is involved and how everything works), or if all else fails, lots of fiddling with stuff.

Design.

Oh and dealing with other programmers, the kind of people that could think 2+2=7 and nothing on planet Earth will change their mind about it. In fact they tend to take offense if you suggest 2+2 could equal anything but 7.
I don't find design, languages, etc difficult. The difficulty is understanding the problem domain and how to solve it.
Translating that solution into a design and then some code is the easy part, IMHO.
if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

Maintaining the patience to sift through all the pointless rubbish like this on forums looking for worthwhile theads to participate in.

Maintaining the patience to sift through all the pointless rubbish like this on forums looking for worthwhile theads to participate in.

Yeah, and gasto's recent string of low quality threads... "Why is the sky even blue?"-type threads...

EDIT:
Not that I can say I'm much better... At least gasto actually has something to talk about :|

Alright, if we can't keep this vaguely on topic, it's a candidate for getting closed.

I will refrain from stating my opinion on the usefulness of this thread, but I will say that it deserves as much chance to live a healthy life as any other.

Interpret that how you will :-)

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

if we can't keep this vaguely on topic

Wait, there's a topic in this thread?

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

On the opposite i state that this kind of reaction as above is inferior and primitive - if it is rubbis for you get out and leave it for people with different opinion

if it is rubbis for you

I mean, it's kind of rubbish altogether to conduct a straw-poll of a technical forum with no actual content or guidelines in the initial post...

it would be considerably more relevant to ask a small number of targeted questions, rather than the scattershot approach.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement