Old Computer vs. New Computer FPS

Started by
14 comments, last by Viscous-Flow 22 years, 5 months ago
Hello, I have am drawing one simple textured quad on a not that old computer and a new computer and they get absolutely different FPS, more than 500 off. For the somewhat old system here are the specs: 16mb TNT2 VANTA AGP 256mb ram 733mhz I get about 80fps for this computer For the new computer I get about 600fps, system specs: 32mb Radeon VE 256mb ram 1.4ghz Is there any reason why the two systems would have that much of a difference when drawing just ONE textured cube? Thanks!
Advertisement
Maybe the old system had "vsync" on. That would lock the frame rate to the refresh rate of the monitor, and 80Hz sounds like a likely vertical refresh rate to me...
It isn''t that because I made sure they both had it off.
the other possibility is that you use a quite high screen mode (1024x768x32bpp) and this kills off vanta''s fillrate immediately. try testing in low res like 640x480x16 and vanta should reach much better results.

With best regards,
Mirek Czerwiñski
http://kris.top.pl/~kherin/
With best regards, Mirek Czerwiñski
I do get better results, but I was running it in 800x600. In 640x480 I get about another 20fps on the old one but well over 100 more on the new one.

EDIT: Is this normal?

Edited by - Viscous-Flow on November 3, 2001 6:32:28 PM
Processors generally do go slower in 640x480.

quote:Original post by sigmaent
Processors generally do go slower in 640x480.

Since when? The video RES doesnt affect the CPU at all, just the drivers which fill the video buffer with whats going to be shown on screen, and even then that will fill faster because there are less pixels to draw into it.

-----------------------"When I have a problem on an Nvidia, I assume that it is my fault. With anyone else's drivers, I assume it is their fault" - John Carmack
Do you have the newest drivers for both cards?

Do you have lighing enabled? If so how many lights? Maybe all the lights don''t fit into hardware on the TNT.

It doesn''t seem to be a cpu problem. Since the new system has a processor that is twice as fast but the FPS is much more than twice. But with only one cube that wouldn''t be a problem.

Hmm, I have a TNT2 Ultra and I get about 300 FPS with one textured cube. So you should be getting at least 150-200 FPS.

I don''t know what else to tell ya. I''m just spitting things out from the top of my head.

SL
I have the newest drivers for both of them. NVidia just released new drivers about a month ago, I think.

There are no lights it is just a simply basic textured quad I am testing out.

Are there any OpenGL settings I could change?
If I make it so that the texture slowly moves across the screen that framerate drops about 30fps when the texture is right in the middle but gains about 60fps when it is not being displayed, yet it should still be being processed each frame.

Perplexing, isn't it?

[EDIT]: That is on the old computer, the new one barely takes a hit.

Edited by - Viscous-Flow on November 4, 2001 1:02:21 AM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement